• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting flange for RE SYE on shaft?

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
OK, I made a pretty damn good cut on the shaft and I tried putting the flange on to help punch the center to start drilling. It doesn't even seem close to going on. I used my 3lb rubber mallot but I didn't want to hit it to hard. Now the edge of the teeth on the flange aren't looking so good. I filed the burrs of the output shaft, but not much more.

Do I need to file down the shaft a bunch? do I need to hammer it harder? It really appears that the flange wasn't machined big enough.

Just for fin - look at the piece you cut off - see if that'll fit into the drive-plate (if you push it too far in you can drift it out through the plate's bolt hole)

The tollerences are quite tight, and beating on the cut-off piece will save you the hassles associated with breaking a snap-ring off of your t-case's main shaft (or worse!)

Once you get the cut-off stub to move in/out of the driveplate fitting the plate onto a de-burred shaft won't be so difficult...

Also chamfer the output shaft a little so the sharp edge dosen't dig into the plate. Put the plate in the oven at about 175-200* for about 30 min and try it then (wear gloves)

You may also want to pass a triangle shaped file along the edge of the cut splines on the shaft, just to file away the burs. Once started, the flange should tap on with minimal effort, albeit a snug fit, which is a good thing....

Ivan

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

Well Crap, How did I make something that is supposed to be so easy, so hard?!?

Now I broke off an inch of my 1/16" bit inside the shaft. I've been drilling on it all night, even bought new black carbide bits to drill out my steal bits but I don't get anywhere.

Will titanium bits do the job? I new I should have started at 1/8" :mad:

So how far can you drive on just the front drive shaft?

You can drive around with you front driveshaft around town pretty well. A 1/16" drill seems a bit small to begin your pilot hole. I used an 1/8" to begin my pilot hole. A bit more strength and it won't deflect as easily when you drill into the hard shaft. Titanium drill bits were what I used when I installed mine. They work flawlessly. Small cuts, lots of cutting oil and frequent cleaning out the chips is key. This applies both to the drilling and tapping procedure. When you get around to tapping the hole, do small 1/4 - 1/2 turns, then back out to clean the chips. Lots of cutting oil! Use a t-handle tap wrench to apply equal pressure as you tap. If you use a crescent wrench to turn the tap, you'll be digging pieces of tap bit out of the hole as well ;)

Going to get my titanium drill its, I just hope they cut through that POS 1/16" bit.

Thanks

That might work - the titanium bits aren't getting me anywhere either :(

Back