• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got new axles, what tire size/ gears?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Just got a front HP Ford d44 w/ hysteer, OX Titanium u-joints, Detroit soft locker, Warn shafts and hubs and a Ford HD 9" w/ 31 spline Moser axles, full spool, and discs. They came with 4.10s so I will need new gears, but heck what do you expect for $1500.

I am wondering what size tire I should run so I don't have to worry too much about breaking and also what gears would you recomend I use? (I do plan on 37" MT/Rs for the road) I have a 2000 XJ 4.0/Aw4/231, if you need to know.

What's wrong with the 37s?

basalt51 said:
What's wrong with the 37s?

Well I want something else for offroad. I plan on 37" MT/Rs on black rockcrawlers for the road and Swampers and beadlocks for the trails. I was wondering if a 37x13 Bogger would be ok? 4.88s?

Last edited:
5.38s?

This is my DD for now and will be driven on the hwy a good bit.

If you know you are doing 37's, 5.38's are the way to go. To turn large meats, you need to get that little 4.0 revving. I'd want to be running at least 2,800 RPM at cruising speed.

35's, 5.13's are near perfect.

CRASH

CRASH said:
If you know you are doing 37's, 5.38's are the way to go. To turn large meats, you need to get that little 4.0 revving. I'd want to be running at least 2,800 RPM at cruising speed.

35's, 5.13's are near perfect.

CRASH

Wow, guess I learn something new everyday.

I was thinking 4.88s or 5.13s to be honest. I have driven a few different XJs w/ 4.56s and 35s and it didn't seem to bad, I guess offroad it woud be a different story.

So are you saying you want your engine to be in a higher rpm range than compared to stock? I know most the time people try to match their gears to the bigger tires to get as close as they can to stock. I know at like 70mph I am doing like 2000 rpms. (Or close) I also understand offroadlower is always better, I just need a happy meadium. I will end up with an Atlas before too long also.

Last edited:
I'm running 35" MT/Rs with 4.88s. I really like it and think it feels good. I would be up for trying a 5.13'ed Jeep though. I don't think I would go to 37s on 4.88s. Yeah sure I could do it, but I could have also stayed with 3.55s.
I have no idea what RPMs I am running, though, because I have no tach.

ZachMan said:
I was thinking 4.88s or 5.13s to be honest. I have driven a few different XJs w/ 4.56s and 35s and it didn't seem to bad, I guess offroad it woud be a different story.

Yeah I think I am going with 5.13s, that seems like a good combo offroad/onroad.

ZachMan said:
Well I want something else for offroad. I plan on 37" MT/Rs on black rockcrawlers for the road and Swampers and beadlocks for the trails. I was wondering if a 37x13 Bogger would be ok? 4.88s?

Dang! Wanna buy me a set too ;)

I've been running 4.88s w/ 33s for a couple days and it rocks. I'm going to miss the gearing when I go to 35s. If you try to match stock gearing with tires that big you lose out since the tires are MUCH heavier and there's alot more friction too. Plus that 9" is going to suck some power.

One thing people never think of is that the stock gearing with stock tires work well but when you lift it tall enough to fit 37 it takes more power due to the bigger hole you have punch in the air plus the much heavier tires you have to turn.Its funny my friend has a 88 with 32s and 4.56 and he gets better milaige than his wifes 94 that stock.

One of the main reasons why Jeep are geared the way they are are because of the emission laws. Not because you can get better fuel economy. IMO OEM jeeps with a 4.0 and AT should have come with 4.10's for stock size tires and with MT 3.55. I just went to 4.88's with my 33's, my speedo is still screwed up, but I use to gas up every week, and now it's every week and a half. I pull 2500rpm's @ 65.

Back