• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no slip vs. lock rite

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
whats the difference other than price? i want to install lockers front and rear in my XJ. for those of you that run lock rites, are they noisy? no slips noisy? just want something thats somewhat smooth running and won't freak out my gf when she drives...

I did run a no-slip in the rear and a lock right up front and have had exp. with lockrights in rears and as far as I can tell the lockright locks up any time any tourqe is applied while my no-slip was invisible always unless I really got on it while turning then it locks up and hops.

What azxjman said. I have a lock-rite up front. Works great, but on a fast turn on pavement will freak out the gf (pops and ratchets). I added Warn hubs to take care of that and front drive-line vibes. every time I pulled into the driveway my wife would think something was about to break, or already broken.

I have a No-Slip in the rear, works every bit as well as the lock-rite (wheels in the air locked up tight), but is almost invisible on the road. If I get on it hard and turn sharp I can get the wheels to squeel.

The real advantage of an auto locker like the two you have suggested, are that there are no air lines or servos to mess up. Hang out with an airlocked jeep on a trail when the locker decides not to do it's thing. Not pretty.

Keep it simple, Greddy

xjaddiction said:
I have a No-Slip in the rear, works every bit as well as the lock-rite (wheels in the air locked up tight), but is almost invisible on the road. If I get on it hard and turn sharp I can get the wheels to squeel.

I agree... I got a no slip in the rear and about the only noise I get out of it is the tire squeel on a turn... but since I was able to do that with my limited slip I don't think it should count for much :D

You put a true locker in your vehicle and it'll probably "freak your girlfriend out". If you loan your locked XJ to friends who aren't familiar with driving with a locker, you'll "freak" them out, too.

Driving a vehicle with a locker takes some getting used to - even a locker as (normally) quiet as a no-slip. You can get oversteer and understeer depending on throttle and conditions, and it can feel pretty wonky for the uninitiated. Backlash has been more noticeable in mine.

Check out: http://www.drivetrain.com/noslipusersguide.html

This guide ships with the no-slip locker.

yes, wthout a doubt the driving experience changes with a locker. even running hubs unlocked and only the rear no-slip, i notice a difference driving. the jeep wants to go straight. this is very subtle, but on curvy roads you will be putting a little more steering effort into the driving. stopping makes the jeep want to turn a little left or right at times. you get used to it, but it's not the same as no locker driving. rain and snow require some careful go pedal. whoever drives your jeep would need to be aware of these changes in driveability. AND!!!.... this vehicle is not a cute ute CAR!!! drive it like that and you will put the jeep on it's lid.

Greddy

I run a Detroit True track in the front and it doesn't make a sound. It actually works in the soft stuff, too.

Back