• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

visual difference in D60 and D70? (pics)

hpi_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
im trying to figure out if both rear axles i have are 60's or if one is a 70, the one i suspect to be a 70 came from an early 90's dodge 1ton dually with a cummins turbo deisel in it. i heard that 70's tubes taper down outside the spring perches. this axle does that but so does the one i suspect to be a 60 (second pic)
176300_92_full.jpg

this is the axle i suspect to be a 60 it is out of a early 90's oddge 3/4ton with cummins turbo deisel. it was not a dually though. but it as well tapers down outside the spring perches.
176300_93_full.jpg

both axles have a 32 spline axle count (i counted multiple times, and came up with 32 each time) i thought all 70's came with 35 and 60's came with 30 spline. so what is it that i have?

sorry for the bad pics, and thanks for the help.

Both of those trucks came with 70's. We have two of those units in my family, I've R&Red both units, and both have 35 spline shafts.

I hate to ask, but are you really and truly sure you counted correctly?

CRASH

Right rear corner of the center section should be stamped with a 60 or 70 depending on which axle you have.

This is what you should see on the lower right corner of the pumpkin

aac.sized.jpg

This indicates a 70. There have been 32 spline 70s but you won't use them, your choice of lockers and parts are really limited.

XJoachim said:

aac.sized.jpg

This indicates a 70. There have been 32 spline 70s but you won't use them, your choice of lockers and parts are really limited.

And 32 spline 70's should not appear in the trucks you are talking about, specifically the late 80's/early 90's Dodge units.

CRASH

XJoachim said:

aac.sized.jpg

neither are stamped here, i have wire brushed both axles down and cannot find "70" anywhere.

i am absolutely sure they are 32 spline, and they are out of dodges...
did i discover a rare happening 2 times in a row?

Back