• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me get her home

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
1987 I6 AW4 no other options but tow package (D44 :clap: ).

I was in the city the other day looking for a good '87 with D44. The plan is to trade it's rear with my 90's, sell our other new '99 and use the '87 for a DD. Long story short, after another fruitless/dissapointing day of looking at listed XJs, I'm on my out of town when I spot (from 100 feet :eyes: ) what looks like an '87 with a 44. I start knocking on doors and talk the owner into selling. Turns out it's been sitting for nine months. Starts without much hassle that night, but the next day puts up a fuss.

I've read through 61 threads...now I'm just looking for confirmation/added insight.

Events went as follows:
Try to start it and battery is dead. Boost it from my XJ and she starts right up. Engine warms up and everything looks/sounds great. I come back the next day with the cash and it cranks strong but won't start. We fiddle for three hours, I determine it has the following related new parts: Plugs, wires, distributor, coil, NSS, and CrankPS. He said it was getting spark at the coil (I did not verify). There's fuel at rail (not guaged), the belt turns, it had 1/2 tank of gas in it. Just befoe we gave up I pulled the air tube off the TB and whadayaknow...she starts. She's running strong as we put her back together. Without thinking, the guy removes the keys :banghead: to grab his keychain from the set and it won't start back up again. I'm feeling quite sympathetic to all 'bi-polars' at this point and call it a day.

Before I give it another go, please help add to the following list of potential causes.

*CPS connector (maybe hit it when taking off the air tube)
*ICM (no idea how to check this)
*Starter Relay (would getting the good crank rule this out?)
*Spark (going to check this for myself...then what if none?)
*Fuel (is a guage necessary)
*Camshaft Position Sensor (After cranking and cranking for that whole time I didn't notice any fuel smell...does this mean this may be the problem)
*C101 Connector (where is it...how do I get rid of it)
*what about water or bad gas? (but she ran good and strong...no stumbling twice??)

I really appreciate any help...I've been searching for a D44XJ for too long to pass this one up.

Darren

Last edited:
Mouse nest in the air cleaner or the air tube?

LynchMob said:
1987 I6 AW4 no other options but tow package (D44 :clap: ).

*what about water or bad gas? (but she ran good and strong...no stumbling twice??)

I really appreciate any help...I've been searching for a D44XJ for too long to pass this one up.

Darren

Nice find....

Sitting for 9 months, I'd add fresh gas... never know what's sitting in the tank after that period of time.

I thought about a mouse. I suppose one could get in front of the filter. The filter itself was quite nasty.

As for bad gas, should I just add a couple gallons or drain what's in there (keep in mind it ran, no stumbling, for about 1/2 hour the night before).

Thanks for the ideas.

D

I just want to thank you guys for the info (always helpful) and am proud to say I am the new owner of another XJ!!

The guy put a second cps in and got it started. It still wouldn't catch a couple times, but nothing some wiggling of the connector didn't fix. I think that's the real problem.

I plan on swapping the 44 rear with my 90's, giving it some paint and then replacing the 99XJ with it as a second vehicle.

He said he put new seals in the rear not too long ago, but should I redo them again if I"m replacing the carrier/installing a detroit?

Last edited:
Back