• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE drop brackets

bill hitchcock

NAXJA Forum User
anyone used these? ive got a 5 inch lift and a little bit of death wobble. ive almost got it gone and was wondering if these brackety would help? would long arms help also? Ive got rustys adjustable control at the moment.

RE control arm drop brackets

Worth their weight in gold! I had the dw at 6" and put these on and it went away. Went up to 8" with still no dw. Be sure to use the frame braces though. You are going to lose a little clearance with them but it'll ride SO much better on the street and will flex much better off-road too. I highly recommend them.

Watch out your going to start another Long arm Short arm debate.

I now have the RE drop brackets but only because I kinds got a deal on them, let just say they were used. For the price of just the new brackets and support braces and new arms you could do your own Long arm setup or kit. There's +'s and -'s to both, There is some great long arm kits out there. Which ever you choice is, correcting the CA Angles is definitely in the right direction. Will it fix you DW, it may it may not. It will help set up the correct caster angle, which is a cotributer to DW.

Well, I loved my drop brackets but when I bent a lower control arm, needed to replace all the jonny joints in the Rubicon arms anyway, and also was looking at some adjustable uppers, I just decided to go to a long-arm. I got Rockkrawlers and this weekend will be the first time I get to wheel on it. The long arms do drive better on the street but I think some of that was because my bushings on my short arms needed to be replaced bad and I still had my stock uppers. I also changed out my steering and that had a lot to do with my crappy ride before. I flexed the long-arms out and didn't seem to improve the flex over the short arms with drop brackets any. So that doesn't seem to be an issue. If you already have money invested in adjustable control arms, then I'd say go for the drop brackets. If you have someone who'll give you a decent amount for your short arms, then maybe you could put that towards a long-arm. I'd have to say installation of the long-arms was probably easier than the doing the drop brackets as long as you have access to a welder. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either direction. Depends on what kind of money you have to put into it. Rockkrawler's long-arm upgrade is around $500. I don't remember the drop bracket price but I seem to think it was around $350 or so with the braces.

thanks guys! i have them coming in the mail. when they get here im going to messure them, then build my own and sell the RE ones to my friend. i hope these work i have been screwing around withthe DW crap for like a year now.....

I have the RE drop bracket kit and run about 7" of lift....had no death wobble and you can get your angles back closer to stock.

Kit works great if you are already got money in adj arms.

Regards
Chewy

bill hitchcock said:
thanks guys! i have them coming in the mail. when they get here im going to messure them, then build my own and sell the RE ones to my friend. i hope these work i have been screwing around withthe DW crap for like a year now.....

How much fab capability do you have access to - the brackets kinda have some strange bends and some odd shapped plates - nothing that couldn't be done with a decent ironworker but kinda hard to do at home - the real deal would be to put them into a CAD program and then just have everything punched and bent...

Don't know how much RE is going to like that idea though :rolleyes:

Matt

PS - They do improve the ride quality alot - I used them for about 2.5 years and then saw the light and went long arm - kinda (trangulated 3 link without trackbar ;) )

I have a mostly 4.5" Rusty's in front with stock UCA's and fixed LCA's to give myself about 7.5 degrees of castor. I was thinking about the RE drop brackets to improve my ride, but would I be better off with a long arm kit? How much higher would I be with a long arm and which kit is favored?
Ed Wulfe
NAXJA#67

from what people have told me. the long arm kit is a little under twice as good as the drop brackets but over 3 times as expensive.

im going to make some brackets for my friends around here probaly next weekend. if any of you guys want some give me a mail at [email protected] and maybe ill sell some that are built just like the RE ones but ill sell em alot cheaper.
i need like a month to experiment and make sure i get them going well.

Brackets

Hey Bill

You or 4 inch trac bar drop bracket for an 88 XJ. Need it beefy?

Nik

Back