• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console

BigRedJeepster0381

NAXJA Member #1011
Is there a way I can install an overhead console/information center (I.E. Outside temp, mileage driven) in my XJ, or do I need certain parts to do so? I want to try to find one on eBay or if someone has one available here for purchase. Would it be easy to do or would it require a lot work and be too much of a headache?

The overhead console didn't come as a factory option in my Sport, obviously, and all I have is the overhead lighting installed. If I can't install this, are there other alternatives I can install that would do the same job?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I'm still trying to learn - going from a little cardboard box of a Neon to a Cherokee is a change -- for the better. :wave:

The overhead console was an option on the Sport, just didn't happen to get put on yours. It can be retrofitted, but it has always seemed to me like too much of a PITA to be worth the effort. Awhile ago I think someone posted what he went through to do it -- it might turn up if you try a search.

[Edit] To clarify, it was an option through 1999. For 2000 it was NOT an option on the Sport, which is why my Sport doesn't have it. I would have paid the money to get it from the factory, but there's no way I'm tearing apart the interior to retrofit it now. [/Edit]

I did a search, but the best I could come up with is a home-made one with pictures. Maybe it would be too much of a pain to put in, but if I can figure out how to do it, I think it would be worth it (for me). Although if I end up having to tear apart the whole dash (I caught that in an older thread) then I better kiss that idea goodbye. :dunno:

BigRedJeepster0381 said:
I did a search, but the best I could come up with is a home-made one with pictures. Maybe it would be too much of a pain to put in, but if I can figure out how to do it, I think it would be worth it (for me). Although if I end up having to tear apart the whole dash (I caught that in an older thread) then I better kiss that idea goodbye. :dunno:

You could always go to a U-Pull and find a vehicle with one of those mirrors that have temp, milage gauge. Look for LOCKED UP I think he has done this on his XJ.

You would need to get the wiring for the mirror also.

dogtired said:
hmmm, according to Eagle's earlier post there isn't one? And you say there is one. Which is it? Me very :confused:

All know is that there is a section in the FSM for the Overhead Console.

I saved this post from a while back on the install. I'm not sure who posted it. Sorry I can't pass along credit to that person...

Ivan
===================================================

Overhead Console Install:

· Disconnect negative battery cable.

· Remove all upper trim pieces surrounding headliner. (Note: You need to remove ‘oh shit’ handles first…A-pillar trim is clipped in…be very careful pulling this off or clips will break. Mine broke. The rest of the trim is screwed in.)

· Remove rear overhead speaker grille & speakers (grilles are clipped in—simply pull down on them. Also remove rear cargo light (gently pull out) & unplug.

· Unscrew (torx #50 bit I think) upper seat belt anchors for rear seats.

· Remove sunvisors and unplug electrical connectors. Remove sunvisor clips and keep the screws they’re mounted with—you’ll need them for the overhead console. Also remove map/dome light bezel & unplug electrical.

· Take out headliner completely—get someone to help you so it doesn’t get bent.

· Follow map/dome light wiring down to fuse box (located at passenger kick panel). This will be the spot where your new overhead wiring will connect to also. Remove this wiring harness and set aside. Install new overhead console wiring. (part# 56009702AG -- $80.00 -- for the ’00 & ’01 XJ’s. This same connector will work on the ’97-’99, but you will need to rearrange the wiring color for color to make it work properly…or order the correct overhead wiring
for you year from the dealer) The connector for the overheads functionality is tucked under the passenger side of the dash board. It’s directly under the air vent next to the glove box.

· Next go to the front of your XJ and remove the grille. At the cross-member directly behind the front bumper, dead center there will be a dangling connector for the temperature sensor. (part# 4688204AB -- $25.00) Connect sensor to wiring and mount to cross member in predrilled hole. Reinstall grille.

· Now connect the interior overhead wiring to the overhead console (before it’s installed) to see how all the functions work…and that they work properly. (Note: Check your owners manual for the fuse relating to the overhead console. Mine was already in place.) Unplug connections from the console.

· Next you have the choice of either cutting additional openings in the headliner for the overhead console’s wiring etc. (as ‘catnip’ from JeepsUnlimited.com did this…or buying a new headliner from the dealer. (part# SX86HW8AA -- $260.00) I chose to get a new headliner.

· Install the overhead console mounting bracket (part# 55352518AB -- $5.00 -- at the B-pillars roof cross-member, dead center. There will be small, predrilled holes here also. Make sure the screw isn’t too long or you’ll go through the roof.

· Reinstall the headliner, trim, seat belt anchors, rear speakers and lights, sunvisors, etc. (Don’t forget to plug in the electrical for these items when re-installing.)

· Fish the overhead wiring through the opening in the headliner and prop the bottom end of the overhead console into the rear opening of the headliner. Then clip the sides of it into the bracket you mounted on the roofs cross-member. Finally, screw the front of the console in using the screws you removed from here.

· Reconnect battery and see owners manual for calibrating compass and functions of overhead console.

Ivan those directions were a post from Ketjar.

The 2000 XJ can be retrofitted with an overhead console. They go for around $190 on Ebay and then you have to also make sure that the harness comes with it. Tim from MN I met at Moab shipped me one he pulled at a pik-n-pul with the harness for $50, spent $30 for the outside temp sensor. Still haven't installed yet, been to busy working.

I am not sure as haven't measured, but the console looks identical to my neighbors Grand Caravan.

good luck,
Tom

This may be a dumb question :banghead: , but can overhead consoles from other ChryCo products be compatible? (i.e. I saw a lot of o.c.'s on eBay from Grand Cherokee's). Does it really matter if I pick one up from a GC, Caravan, etc.? Or must be strictly from an XJ?

BigRedJeepster0381 said:
This may be a dumb question :banghead: , but can overhead consoles from other ChryCo products be compatible? (i.e. I saw a lot of o.c.'s on eBay from Grand Cherokee's). Does it really matter if I pick one up from a GC, Caravan, etc.? Or must be strictly from an XJ?

I think as long as it comes with the wiring harnes to tie back into the fuse box. Should work.

Fore Wheeler said:
I have one setting in my garage, just removed from my 91 Limited, I cut the wires, if interested in just the overhead, make me an offer.

I don't think that would be compatible with my 98.

Back