• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need new cap and rotor ASAP: which kind?

@dam

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching, and couldn't really find any cap and rotor recomendations. Any type I should look for or look to avoid?

Thanks

-Adam

I always get mine at NAPA. They have 2 diff. ones, make sure to get the higher quality one. HTH. JIM.

At 193,000mi on my 98 I have always use OEM dealer supplied plugs, wires, caps and rotors. Same with our other jeeps, the only dealer supplied item I stay away from are their carter BBD carbs :D Got two complete setups on the shelf for both the TJ's we just got including new idlers which I am also going to replace on the XJ now that it's warming up outside some...

@dam said:
I did some searching, and couldn't really find any cap and rotor recomendations. Any type I should look for or look to avoid?

Thanks

-Adam

For the HO engine, MOPAR Performance cap and rotor are (or were) brass contacts. I bought the performance parts for my '88 a few months back and was dismayed to see that they have aluminum contacts, but I don't know if that's also true for the ones that fit your year.

I've been told that NAPA carries caps and rotors with brass terminals for the XJ. Try there first, but be sure to tell the guy behind the counter you want the ones with the brass contacts.

Thanks guys. Isn't aluminum a better conducter though? Is the brass just better from a durability standpoint, or is there any other reason? The one in there right now is brass and isn't looking so hot. I think it has only been in there for 40-50k. I just pulled the cap and rotor off my 98 Accord (with 112k) to compare. It is the original cap, has Aluminum contacts, and while not looking great, really doesn't look all that bad.

I guess I'll call my Jeep dealer and see how much they want for a cap and rotor.

BTW...I have a 95 Sport 4.0

Thanks guys
-Adam

Copper and brass are better conductors than aluminum.

Back