• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

J-20 steering box question?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I got a box from a J-20 to go into my XJ. The box came from a 1980 truck, and I'm wondering if it needs to be rebuilt before I install it. Is this something the average shade-tree howler monkey can do? :spin1:
TIA!

BillR said:
I got a box from a J-20 to go into my XJ. The box came from a 1980 truck, and I'm wondering if it needs to be rebuilt before I install it. Is this something the average shade-tree howler monkey can do? :spin1:
TIA!

Not usually. Just stick it on and see how it works, then decide if it needs work. Thankfully, steering boxes aren't hard to change.

I just rebuilt a 1980 j-20 box. It's all easy except if the loose ball bearings fall out of the piston when you disassemble it, which of course mine did. The instructions say be careful and don't let them fall out, but then they don't tell you how to get them back in if they do indeed fall out. I got them in, and it seems the piston moves freely from lock to lock, but we'll have to see once I install it if I did it correctly.

So, what goatman said, run it first, then rebuild if needed. Also, first make sure the hydraulic fittings and the steering shaft splines are the same. I think it's iffy on an 80, but either way, those parts can be swapped to work. All my fittings appear to be correct. _nicko_

I didn't do a total rebuild, but I went ahead and put a pitman shaft seal kit in. 2 seals, 2 washers, and a snap ring. The teeth inside look a LITTLE worn, but they're not bad.
Next weekend the box will go in, along with the inner frame plate from C-ROK to go with the outer plate I have now. :repair:

Last edited:
Back