• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing U-Joints

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 cherokee with a D30 front end and the u-joints closet to the wheel need replaced. I took the carter pin, sheild, and the HUGE nut off that holds the hub thing on but i can't seem to get the hub off. Tried for hours and it only moved maybe 1/8th of an inch or less. We even tried heating it but that didn't seem to help. Bought a $70 puller and that didn't help either. Im kinda frustrated and out of ideas so i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

Also this is probably the first time that the front end has been taken apart.

You *DID* take out the 3 12point 13mm bolts on the backside of the hub, right? If you haven't, you've ruined your hub, and you'll need to replace it.

Best method I've found for removing these hubs is to use a couple of sacrificial bolts. Remove the originals and set them aside, install the sacrificials and leave a quarter of an inch before tightening. Use a Ford wrench (sledge hammer!) to convince the hub that it really wants to separate from the knuckle.

I consider a puller to be a BAD idea, it pulls on the inner race, when it's the outer race that's stuck in position.

NotoriousDUG has an interesting idea. Note that I have NOT tried this, but it is intriguing. Use a longer set of sacrificial bolts, and use the power steering to pop the hub loose. BE CAREFUL if you do this, I suspect it'd be very easy to bend and jam a bolt.

Use LOTS of anti-seize on every mating surface when you put this back together. 75 ft./lbs. on the 12point bolts, 175 ft./lbs. on the 36mm axle nut.

Yes i did remove the 3 12point bolts that are on the backside. Now what do you mean by sacrificial bolts? Just some regular bolts? And correct me if im wrong but screw then into the back where the old ones were with a little bit sticking out to beat on with the persuader "sledge".

I'll use the power steering thing with the sacrificial bolts as a last resort.

I used an air hammer to get the hubs off. Bent up the dust shield some but that was it. JIM.

MudslinginXJ said:
Yes i did remove the 3 12point bolts that are on the backside. Now what do you mean by sacrificial bolts? Just some regular bolts? And correct me if im wrong but screw then into the back where the old ones were with a little bit sticking out to beat on with the persuader "sledge".

I'll use the power steering thing with the sacrificial bolts as a last resort.

That's exactly it.

Used this to great advantage on a 92 XJ and a 92 YJ who never had their hubs off either. Don't be afraid to really smack those sacrificial bolts. Do make sure they're screwed in more than a couple of threads, though.

I just did the front u-joints in mine and I used the bolt method. It was time consuming, but it worked. The easy way is to use a slide hammer. I have done that a few times with no ill effects. I didn't do it this time because I went to do it in my dad's garage adn left my slide hammer at home.

Motornoggin said:
I just did the front u-joints in mine and I used the bolt method. It was time consuming, but it worked. The easy way is to use a slide hammer. I have done that a few times with no ill effects. I didn't do it this time because I went to do it in my dad's garage adn left my slide hammer at home.

Don't use a slide hammer if the axle nut is off, because it can pull the bearing unit apart. It works if you put the nut back on, though.

Sometimes it's better not to try to take it off all at once. If you can get the hub to budge at all, soak the crack with kerosene or WD40 or diesel oil, and hammer it back in, then pull it out again. It will move a little further each time, and usually come off with less beating.

I use a 2 jaw gear puller. It works like cake for me. i have pulled 4-5 fronts appart with it with out seperating a hub yet! And when they go back together I put anti seize on the hub where it attaches to the knuckle and all the nuts. And I do not use it sparingly!

Have removed many of these hubs. Do NOT use a puller or you stand a good chance of wrecking the hub, do not use a chisel or you wreck the dust shield. Use the sacrificial bolt method. I get my sacrificial bolts from XJs at the bone yard. I put the bolt in and wack with a 4# ball peen hammer, do each bolt a couple of times thread the bolt out a couple of turns and do it again. Make sure the hub is coming out straight. Undo the steering linkage to get a better angle when hitting the bolts.

Thanks guys. I used the bolt trick and it worked like a charm. Had both axles out within 20 min. Now its time to replace the u-joints:)...Oh What fun! Haha..Thanks again everyone.

Back