• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral safety switch

92stroker

NAXJA Forum User
Help! I need to find a neutral safety switch for my 92XJ with an AW4 tranny.

The arm (inside) is broken. The dealer wants BIG $$$$. The local boneyards don't have any, or will not sell seperate from the tranny. I was able to bypass it temporarily, but I really need to install one.

you need a 5 finger discount from the yards then it sounds like

I've got an 87 I'm parting out with an AW4 in it. I don't know what the switch you need looks like, but if you can explain it to me, I'll get it for you. It might be a couple weeks before I pull the engine and tranny. Unless some one wants them sooner, of course.

It is on the passenger side of the tranny. It has a triangular aluminum cover with a wire bundle coming out of the top. It has a shaft from the tranny that runs through one corner of the cover. There is one bolt and one nut that secure it to the tranny.

I am in the Ogden area and would be happy to come by sometime and take it off myself if it is still available.

You're welcome to come and get it then for 20.00. Will my parts jeep still be drivable if we pull it off because I'm not sure I can leave it where it is too much longer and I'd like to drive it to a more permament place rather than tow it.

Israel said:
Will my parts jeep still be drivable if we pull it off because I'm not sure I can leave it where it is too much longer and I'd like to drive it to a more permament place rather than tow it.
All you have to do is jumper two wires at the connector under the hood where you disconnected the NSS from and it will start right up. We just got done permanently splicing these wires on a friends XJ rather than bother with pulling off the NSS. Works like a charm if you don't care about fixing the backup lights.

Back