• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can heat cause air compressor to fry fuse?

dp90xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj with an air locker in front. The standard ARB compressor is mounted under the hood, front driver's side corner. After it's been running for a while (not exactly sure what's the magic time) it'll blow the relay. Tried putting a fuse in line in place of the relay, blew that, too. Didn't seem to have the problem during a winter run. Question: Would the heat under the hood cause a compressor to blow relays? If so, is there anything I can do besides relocate? Wondering about insulating it, and/or mounting a small fan (ie computer fan or something) that will run while it's on. Appreciate any help.

i would think that the compressor would draw the most power when it is VERY cold at initial startup.

what size fuse is it blowing?

how many amps (max) does it draw?
also, how many watts does it use?

you may have developed a bad ground=increased resistance=draw too much juice and blowing the fuse
and/or
a loose/bad connection somewhere that is physically grounding (shorting) out

check this stuff first

my $.02

CaptTrev

On an electrically operated compressor YES! Heat will affect your amp draw and ultimately blow a fuse. That is why it didn't blow on your winter runs. As an electric motor runs, it's windings heat up and that doesn't help either. Also your compressor is HOT and that can affect your tolerances...which can affect the amount of effort (amp draw) that it takes to keep it running.
It would also be a good idea to check your electrical connections too.

BLUTO

Thanks for the info. Not sure what the compressor draws, but it's not very big. 30 amp relay, and we also tried wiring a 30 amp fuse in its place, basically. Melted the relay, blew the fuse, did work for a little while before blowing but not long.

Do you think a fan mounted underneath would help? Or should I just move the compressor? Heard lots of people mounting them under xj hood, so not sure if that's the problem. I will double-check all grounds and wiring as well.

thanks

Back