• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do y'all inspect an axle?

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
Seriously. Hypothetical situation is that someone is offering an XJ D44. We know that's at least 15 if not 17 years old, with unknown history.
With the axle on the ground, are there any measurements you can take to make sure it's straight?
How do you (or do you even bother) checking the gears for slop/wear?
How do you (or do you even bother) checking seals and the like?

I'm inclined to think that too, but just want to make sure I don't get myself into a money pit with it. I'd rather other money pits for my dwindling supply...

Jim

I can't help you much here, but if you were to find this XJ 44 from a vechicle that hasn't been abused off-road then it's probably straight. Gears might be shot, but you're going to be re-gearing and locking it anyway, so it's no issue :)

By the way, it WILL be a money pit, no way around that. It's a Jeep part after all :D

When Checking for slop in the axle (if the axle is completely out) I usually grab where the driveshaft would be, and turn it back and fourth...this will let you know if there is wear between the gears...you can feel it go back and fourth, without the axles moving.(almost all axles have some slop, but it shouldn't be a lot) If there is a lot of slop, then the gears are worn, the bearings could be worn, and the gears could not be installed right. If it is an axle that you are not planning to put in right away, and it is for a decent price then I would go ahead and pick it up....freshin everything up...ie bearings gears, locker, axles...ect....and they you'll be in business....just my $0.02

Back