• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tranny???

85JeepChick

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have an 85 XJ with 4X4, auto tranny. The tranny is about to go (metal shavings were found in the tranny pan). I just got this Jeep, as a hand me down, and it's in bad shape, but I'm slowly getting it back into shape again. Anyways, I wanted to know which transmissions would be compatible on my Cherokee. Also, if I'm going to be replacing the tranny anyways, is it feasible to swap it out for a manaul tranny instead of auto (pricing, difficutly, etc.) Any help would be much appreciated.
grinning-smiley-022.gif

For 1985 both the 2.5L 4-cyl and the 2.8L V-6 used a Chysler 904 3-speed automatic. This transmission is hydraulically controlled -- no transmission computer to worry about.

Both engines use the same bolt pattern to attach the bell housing to the engine block. This bolt pattern is smaller than the 4.0L 6-cyl engines, so it's not possible to bolt up an AW-4 from a later model Cherokee.

The 904 was used behind all the 2.8L XJs and continued to be used with the 4-cyl for a number of years after the 4.0L 6-cyl engine/AW-4 combination was introduced in 1987. I believe the 904 was also used in the AMC Eagle line but I'm not certain of that.

The bell housing bolt pattern is the small GM pattern, so you could also use a transmission and transfer case out of a baby Blazer/Jimmy with the 2.8L engine.

What about if I wanted to switch to a manual transmission? Would I be able to? Would it be too much of a pain in the butt to do this? Would it be to pricey? Would too many mods need to be made for this to happen?

85JeepChick said:
What about if I wanted to switch to a manual transmission? Would I be able to? Would it be too much of a pain in the butt to do this? Would it be to pricey? Would too many mods need to be made for this to happen?

The '85 Cherokee was available in both 2WD and 4WD with an AX-5 5-speed manual. All you would need to convert would be the transmission and clutch hydraulics, your existing transfer case should work with both the automatic and manual transmissions. You might need to get different linkage rods for the transfer case shifter if the transmission is a different length, and you might need to have your drive shafts altered in length (or get the DS's from an early XJ with 5-speed).

It's quite do-able, but probably not less expensive than simply having your tranny rebuilt. The 904 is actually supposed to be a decent transmission.

85JeepChick said:
I don't know. I'm new on this thread, but it'd be pretty cool if I was.
grinning-smiley-022.gif

About the fourth or fifth, I think.

Our first Recorder was XJgirl, then we had CherokeeChick, and Kudzu is a member of the Board of Directors. We have had a few other female guests on the forums, but offhand I can't think of any others who are or were members.

Welcome. :clap:

85JeepChick said:
Thank you for the welcome, and seeing that I got myself into quite a little project, I should be here pretty often.

welcome.
as a quicky question, is the tranny slipping,crunching, an generally acting up?
I ask, because some metal is almost expected in the trannys filter-where most metal is found. Its almost always a pile of bronze shaveings,sometimes mixed with small chunks. Ive seen some piles tha absolutely fill the filters small input hole-enough for delayed shifts, and no-shift conditions. If that be the case, and the tranny is acting normal, I wouldnt replace it untill it died. Eagles correct-the 904 is a nice tranny, capable of long life and happiness.
Pull the pan, replace the filter and fill up with juice-see if it still acts demented.

To switch to a manual you would also need the hydrolics and a hole bored in the fire wall. Assuming it was not there already. The DS are a little different between the auto and manual, the auto rear is .5" longer so if you lift it will help. I have an 84 so if you need anything just hollar. The 2.5 is a good little engine and very reliable, however the crappy one barrel carter carb leave a lot to be desired. If that tranny is shot you might want to look into the newer 2.5L auto. I'm thinking it was started in 87 or 91. And if memory serves me correctly its the 999? But the 904 is a good tranny and very reliable. HTH.

transfer case

Just a little side note, to use your TC with an AX4/5, you'll need the shorter linkage rod, and also need to swap input shafts from short to long. The manual trans' output shaft sits flush with the rear output housing as opposed to the auto which sticks out furthur, requiring a longer input shaft to make a seal and have adequate spline engagement. Don't ask me how I know, right Ghost? :)
Jeff

Ed in North Ga. said:
welcome.
as a quicky question, is the tranny slipping,crunching, an generally acting up?
I ask, because some metal is almost expected in the trannys filter-where most metal is found. Its almost always a pile of bronze shaveings,sometimes mixed with small chunks. Ive seen some piles tha absolutely fill the filters small input hole-enough for delayed shifts, and no-shift conditions. If that be the case, and the tranny is acting normal, I wouldnt replace it untill it died. Eagles correct-the 904 is a nice tranny, capable of long life and happiness.
Pull the pan, replace the filter and fill up with juice-see if it still acts demented.

When I picked it up, it was massively slipping. I dropped the pan, changed the fluid and filter, and now it's a little better. It slips when you gun it, but other than that it's a little better. The shavings are aluminum flakes, not bronze.

Ghost said:
To switch to a manual you would also need the hydrolics and a hole bored in the fire wall. Assuming it was not there already. The DS are a little different between the auto and manual, the auto rear is .5" longer so if you lift it will help. I have an 84 so if you need anything just hollar. The 2.5 is a good little engine and very reliable, however the crappy one barrel carter carb leave a lot to be desired. If that tranny is shot you might want to look into the newer 2.5L auto. I'm thinking it was started in 87 or 91. And if memory serves me correctly its the 999? But the 904 is a good tranny and very reliable. HTH.

Actually, I have the 2.8L. I know this engine's been put through hell and back, and somehow still managed to survive. The carb had it's choke pull-offs replaced, because they were leaking, and there's a crap load of vaccum leaks from all the pollution hoses, and god knows what else. I still need to inspect the engine further. There's a lot of things I'm still finding that need to be replaced or fixed, and so far the worst has been the tranny.

Just wanted to say WELCOME aboard, glad to see another sadist willing to go against all the naysayers and run the beloved V6 Cherokee :wave: The BEST XJ's ever built.... don't worry about the naysayers, they're just jealous :moon:
Mike B.
Oh.... ya never did mention which tcase your's has, might make a difference in what you choose to do tranny wise....

My boyfriend says that it looks like it has a "new process". I don't know much about these (that's why I keep him around ;) ), so I'm not really sure, but that's what he says.

85JeepChick said:
My boyfriend says that it looks like it has a "new process". I don't know much about these (that's why I keep him around ;) ), so I'm not really sure, but that's what he says.

What's the shift indicator show? And is there a switch on the console behind the shifter?
Mike B.

85JeepChick said:

The transfer case is definietly a New Process (unless it was changed by a previous owner) because that's what Jeep used. But it could be an NP207, NP228 or NP229. If your Jeep has "Command-Trac" it's an NP207. If it has "Selec-Trac" it could be a 228 or 229, probably a 228.

Eagle said:
The transfer case is definietly a New Process (unless it was changed by a previous owner) because that's what Jeep used. But it could be an NP207, NP228 or NP229. If your Jeep has "Command-Trac" it's an NP207. If it has "Selec-Trac" it could be a 228 or 229, probably a 228.

My little box is a Command-Trac, so I guess it would have an NP207, unless someone in my family decided to be funny and try to fit something in there that didn't, which I wouldn't put pass them.
confused-smiley-013.gif

1986xj said:
What's the shift indicator show? And is there a switch on the console behind the shifter?
Mike B.

The shifter shows that it should have Overdrive, because the D is circled, but there's no button.

85JeepChick said:
The shifter shows that it should have Overdrive, because the D is circled, but there's no button.

He meant the transfer case shifter. The old (228/229) Selec-Trac setup had a vacuum switch behind the transmission shifter that controlled 2WD/4WD engagement, and then the transfer case level controlled hih range/low range.

Commanc-Trac is the 207 and it functions just like the 231 in the newer Cherokees, except your low range ratio is 2.61:1 and the newer ones are 2.72:1

Back