• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air conditioning question

Digger Franson

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ. Do I need to get the AC recharged? If so, can I do it myself and how? I bought it in 2000 with 134000 miles and I put about 1000 a year on since then.Thanks.

If it blows cold air, you don't have to recharge it. If it doesn't blow cold air, you do.

With the AC on high and MAX cool the compressor should only cycle a maximum of 5 times per minute, anymore and the R134 freon is low. Start with a small can not a large one if it's borderline.

I alwys thought 92 was the changover year that ALL the manufacturers went to R134. Could yours have been an add on and not factory original ?

No, it varied from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think it was 95 or 96 when it was mandated that they all had to switch over.

My xj is a 93 country with factory air and it says R-12 on the sticker under the hood but i have seen a kit to put in the new R-134, check autozone or parts dealers like those

Back