• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion length, 8.25 vs. XJ d44?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am wondering which axle has the longest pinion? I am about to add some lift and I don't want to have to wait for my Tom Woods shaft to get lengthend, so I am thinking of swaping out my 8.25 for an XJ d44, if the d44 is longer. I know an 8.8 is a good bit longer, but I'm not really wanting an 8.8.

I second the question. Actually I could measure it myself, but I'm lazy. If no one answers by tomorrow, I'll go visit the parts jeep and find out for both of us.

The pinion length on the Dana 44 and the 8.25 are very close to being the same. The Dana 35 has a shorter pinion, by about 5/8" to 3/4"

I don't know if this will help - but a while back I replaced the rear driveshaft on my '94. I have the 8.25 and the parts guy at the stealership said, "Hmm, looks like your 8.25 uses the same driveshaft as the dana 44 models, they have the same part numbers." I haven't verified on my own as of yet, but are there any people on here who have access to a Chrysler parts computer who can verify this?

ya thatd be nice to know

When I swapped a 8.25 out for a 44, I used the same shaft and a YJ yoke... also went from 2-3" to 5-6" leafs at the same time. No fitment issues at all.

Note: this was in an 89 4.0/AW4/242...I assume it had a D35 originally, but it had a 27sp 8.25 when I got it in '02. No way to know if the prev. owner swapped shafts too.

I think your Woods (CV- Slip-spline yes?) Shaft will be fine with the axle swap.

Back