• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC parts/SYE interchange.

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Is the only difference between the older (95 and under) and newer (96+) Tcases the tailshaft housing ? That is, say you had a newer 96 tcase with the short tailshaft housing and an older 93 with the long housing and extension. Could you swap the housings between the two?

The idea is to get a hackntap SYE for the 96 style shaft, swap tailshaft housings on the Tcase, and put the 96+ style SYE onto the 93 Tcase. The 93 is the lifted jeep and the 96 is a DD that may get a 2" or so lift in the future. Is there something im missing, like a difference between the sealing surfaces on the Tcase shafts? TIA

I'm doing the same thing, you have to use the late mainshaft and housing but it works fine. The mainshaft on the late model t/c has a sealing surface for the late housing.

Rabbit

Lucas said:
Is the only difference between the older (95 and under) and newer (96+) Tcases the tailshaft housing ? That is, say you had a newer 96 tcase with the short tailshaft housing and an older 93 with the long housing and extension. Could you swap the housings between the two?

The idea is to get a hackntap SYE for the 96 style shaft, swap tailshaft housings on the Tcase, and put the 96+ style SYE onto the 93 Tcase. The 93 is the lifted jeep and the 96 is a DD that may get a 2" or so lift in the future. Is there something im missing, like a difference between the sealing surfaces on the Tcase shafts? TIA

What you are proposing will not work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danged funny thing, I am running an early NP231 that I swapped a tailcone housing from a 96 + onto. My rig had a vacuum disco, so I had to shorten the shifter rod, but it bolts on fine. The early shaft has splines further up the shaft than the later models. I ordered a Currie companion flange and scrounged up a seal that works. Presto, a $40 SYE. I'm working on a writeup on the process as we speak. I also came up with a piece that can be used to convert an existing dual cardan driveshaft to work with the companion flange. I snagged a driveshaft from a bronco and with a little work presto a good driveshaft. The whole SYE w/drive shaft cost me less than $100.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

A writeup would be cool.Especially the bit about the bronco shaft.
I have to have both jeeps running.Soooo, I guess I'll just swap entire Tcases then. You can pull a Tcase with just hand tools right? All the linkages come out with it, or is something attached to the tranny?

This conversion works if you pull the mainshaft and the tailhousing! If you try to use your old mainshaft it wont work. The only difference is the sealing surfuce and the splines are longer. I'm just using the rubicon express flange hack and tap,then swapping the mainshaft and housing.

Rabbit

Don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but I didn't have to swap the shaft, only the tail cone housing.

Tom Houston

I think we're talking about the same thing. I can put the 96 housing onto the 93, but it sounds like I won't be able to put the 93 housing on the 96. I have to keep both running.

Yes you can swap the mainshaft and housing from early to late and vice versa, but the shafts need to change as well. The early shaft lacks the sealing surface of the late shaft. They just didn't machine the surface on the early one and splines do go up farther on the later, but thos are the only differences.

Rabbit

I'm not real sure on this, but I think Tom used a Currie flange on his early main shaft and then found a seal that fits the newer tail housing and rides on the Currie flange. Sound right Tom? The other option is to use the new shaft with a stock seal that fits the new housing and rides on the new shaft where the seal surface is machined and then add a flange outboard of the seal. I would venture to guess that using the Currie flange is a better setup. Tom Woods site has some good inf. about the RE hack and Tap on the newer cases. Jeff

Back