• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doestch tech shocks

whats the best shock for a lifted XJ?

• doestch tech 3000

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • OME

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • RE monotube

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • RE twintube

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
so i've done some research and ran some of these shocks (OME, RE monotube). these are priced per shock.

-twintube by RE are a new design, has anyone ran them, they're about...$45
-OME are always really expensive...$70
-monotube by RE, somewhere in btwn bilstein and OME shocks for stiffness..$65
-doestch tech 3000 are the upgraded, refined version of their 0 series...$34

keep in mind quality and overall "best bang for your buck" in your decision. I'm tight on budget, but don't want totally crap shocks!

thanks,

brandon

Last edited:
shimmy said:
so i've done some research and ran some of these shocks (OME, RE monotube). these are priced per shock.

-twintube by RE are a new design, has anyone ran them, they're about...$45
-OME are always really expensive...$70
-monotube by RE, somewhere in btwn bilstein and OME shocks for stiffness..$65
-doestch tech 3000 are the upgraded, refined version of their 0 series...$34

keep in mind quality and overall "best bang for your buck" in your decision. I'm tight on budget, but don't want totally crap shocks!

thanks,

brandon

WHy not add Bilstien's to your list, you can find them for about $65 each.

ChuckD said:
WHy not add Bilstien's to your list, you can find them for about $65 each.

i ran bilstein, and i just though they were too stiff for me. my friend loves his though.

Well what are you looking to spend? The Dt3000s are only about $30 each. Do you want to spend twice as much?

basalt51 said:
Well what are you looking to spend? The Dt3000s are only about $30 each. Do you want to spend twice as much?

thats a good point, i have never ran the 3000 series, but heard they were good. i ran the RE monotubes, but they're on the expensive side. i can get a set of 3000 for under $100 brand new.

I can't speak about the RE shocks but I've run both the DT3000s and the OMEs with my RE suspension.

I found the DT3000s a little too soft for my tastes. They didn't dampen enough so I got tossed around too much. The OMEs firmed things up just enough that they don't feel harsh but they still do a better job stopping rebound.

I like the OME.

depends on lift height. from 2-5", you really can't go wrong with OME, over 5" I would suggest Bilsteins, only 89 bucks each for the 5150's. The 5150's can he had a firm and a soft valving.

I know alot of people that run DT3000's and Rusty's Hydros and they like them because they are half the price of the "better" brands.

if you have the money get the better shocks. I have the Long travel OME's on mine 4.5" lift and love them. If I was going to 6" I would get Bilstein 5150's.

I bought my XJ with Doestch Tech's on it... Hate them! Way too stiff! It rides like a BRICK! I'm lookin' for some thing softer.

I think it depends on what part of the country you're in too; I live in New England which is infamous for harsh, crap roads, especially during the winter. I've had Bilsteins, Rancho 5000s and my current Doestch Techs, and the DT are by far the best riding of the three. It's just icing on the cake that they're the cheapest as well.

The Bilsteins are the highest quality, but that doesn't mean that they're comfortable - high speed valving is wayyyyy too harsh. The Ranchos seemed almost as harsh. The DT's have high speed valving that is better suited for potholes, broken roads and two inch high expansion joints. They are a bit more wallowy on the highway at speed, but if they were your first set, I doubt you'd notice. I roll along at 80 mph, and the ride is certainly acceptable and controlled; leave your sway bars on though - the shocks won't hide body roll the way the Bilsteins and (to a lesser extent) the Ranchos did.

Andy

i have the DT3000 on my DD and i like the ride.. its a little stiffer compared to the cheaper DT shocks in my budget-boosted driveway-sitting trail rig.. but i like a firm stiff ride.. if i had the $$ and really needed them i would spring for the fancy Edelbrock shocks... i had them in a 2wd truck and they were excellent at all speeds and all conditions..

mike

sidriptide said:
i have the DT3000 on my DD and i like the ride.. its a little stiffer compared to the cheaper DT shocks in my budget-boosted driveway-sitting trail rig.. but i like a firm stiff ride.. if i had the $$ and really needed them i would spring for the fancy Edelbrock shocks... i had them in a 2wd truck and they were excellent at all speeds and all conditions..

mike

there's a cheaper DT then the 3000's?

about 6 years ago i got the RE4.5" with the DT3000 shocks (5/8"piston) and were told they were heavy duty. they were stiff bastards. THey may be an updated design now.

i then got some RS9000s and have been really happy. turn them down in town...crank em up for desert flyin. the new ranchos 9000x are 9-position and seem to be a large improvement over the old 9000. I had the old ones replaced under warranty cause a couple were leaking after 3 or so years.
I'm still waiting for someone to make a shock that has adjustable rebound AND compression....that would be a dream.

-J

If you're running off-highway, at any sort of fun speed, you WILL boil a non-pressurized shock. Give me 10 minutes and I bet I could boil just about any non-gas charged shock.

I've ripped, broken, boiled, blown and generally thrashed on 11 DT3000 shocks over the years. I find them way too soft on compression and rebound for rock work. However, they last longer, at speed, than anything else BECAUSE of their softness. If you are super low buck, a pair of DT3000 ups front would really be the best of both worlds. Leave it single in back, though.

Bilstein is a bitchin' shock. Get the heavy duty, the regular duty is too soft on rebound for good control in the rocks.

Oh, and never install a non-pressure shoick upside down. You will creat dead spots in the travel.

CRASH

I just recently questioned my decision on shocks. I called RE four differnt times. I spoke with four differnt sales guys and they all said the same thing. Get the Old Man Emu long travel shocks. Well I guess I feel good that I already have theses. My jeep with 6030 kit with leaf packs rides a little stiff by I would hate to have used the rear aal. The front shocks are good to 5.5" but the rears are only good to 4.5" with out relocating the shock monts. They have been an excellent shock for me I just wondered if there would be a little better riding shock and the feeling from RE is that it is possible but you would not get the same quality, longevtiy, and performance. This is compared to all the shocks they offer which is everything you posted plus more.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Joe

I'm running the DT3000's on my XJ and the OME longtravels on the wife's XJ. Both XJ's have 6.5" lift from the RE 5.5" XD. I used to recommend the DT3000's for a cheap shock. They are pretty soft when compared to other shocks, but after looking at my DT3000's and those on other XJ's in my area, I have noticed the piston rod is all rusted. If the corroded area goes through the seal, it could start chewing it up and quickly blow the shock. Doetsch Tech doesn't warranty these shocks either. In fact, they say you need to go out and wipe the piston off by hand frequently to keep them from corroding. :eek: I will no longer recommend the DT3000's to anybody. Get the OME and be happy. Why save some money, when you will have to spend it again and 6 months to replace the junk you purchased the first time.

i thought OME were soft shocks, but it seems that everyone's consensus is that they are stiff. ive never ran them. is it really worth all the extra bucks though to buy them?

if you have between 2-5" of lift yes!

I'll second the complaint about the newer DT3000's. The shafts do rust and pit. I even was made aware of this problem before I bought them, and have made a substantial effort to prevent it. What a joke.

I like the ride and performance of these shocks. They do well for mild-mannered trail drivers and are pretty comfy on the road. They are a great price too. If you live somewhere warm and dry, I think that they'd be a great shock. I live in UTAH, where they salt the roads all winter. Mine have rusted shafts after only 6 months. No leaky seals yet though. They only rust on the very end of the shaft, because that part doesn't get "wiped off" by the seal very often.

Jared

shimmy said:
what would you recommend for a 7.5-8" lift?

bilstein 5150's... there was post on these a few days back.

OME and Bilstein = great shocks!

Back