• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30x9.5 on stock alloy rims

Natural Ice

NAXJA Forum User
30x9.5 on stock 15 inch alloy rims

I plan to get a 2 inch budget boost soon but I need new tires now. when I get the lift I want to run 30 inch MTs. I have a 2000 with the ecco alloy rims how much will 30s rub before I lift? I know this is a really old question but I cant seem to find a solid answer so if you run this setup or ever have I would appreciate knowing how it worked for you.

Last edited:
Re: 30x9.5 on stock 15 inch alloy rims

Natural Ice said:
I plan to get a 2 inch budget boost soon but I need new tires now. when I get the lift I want to run 30 inch MTs. I have a 2000 with the ecco alloy rims how much will 30s rub before I lift? I know this is a really old question but I cant seem to find a solid answer so if you run this setup or ever have I would appreciate knowing how it worked for you.

go for it, and then adjust your steering stops in the front as necessary and if need be drop in a hockey puck or two into the spring onto the spring pad and rtv them together.

I run 30x9.50s on a stock '88 with no problem. They do rub on the lower control arms at full steering lock. I live with it but the steering stops can be shimmed, as Kejtar posted.

The newer body style is different in the rear somehow. I have seen some problems running 30" muds in the rear. The outer edge of the tread rubs the rear outer edge of the flare. You may need to extend the rear bump stops.

To forego all rubbing on a stock XJ w/ 30x9.5s, the secret is...Jeep OEM 15x8 rims, TJ Gamblers, TJ Canyons, and the new TJ ravines as well.

They fit/look great and no rubbing even at full lock on the control arms.

I've done this on several XJs and MJs from 85-96. From crappy GY GS-As, to the nice GY MT/Rs, BFG ATs, and BFG MTs. On a 2000 model year, word has it that the 15x8 TJ rims also lessen the problem with the rear flares.
97+ XJs are more prone to losing fender flares if you look at them funny compared to the elder years. Different attachment setup, not as nice.

Works nicely, looks great, though there is room to be desired with this size if you do any off-roading. You'll stuff the tires pretty easily.

As such, with larger size, larger weight, etc etc the 235/75 is my size of choice over the 30x9.5s on stock XJ MJs, though 30x9.5s have a little more room to move on MJs, at least in the rear being they're a truck. Oh, and 235s are cheaper.

Teron

Last edited:

Kejtar said:
go for it, and then adjust your steering stops in the front as necessary and if need be drop in a hockey puck or two into the spring onto the spring pad and rtv them together.

THE "HOCKEY PUCK" is it a real one, or the name for a part for this purpose...
i have seen them and was wondering where to get them...
not alot of hockey playin' round here...

xjhm said:
THE "HOCKEY PUCK" is it a real one, or the name for a part for this purpose...
i have seen them and was wondering where to get them...
not alot of hockey playin' round here...
Real hockey puck and if there are no places around you that stock them (check big5, sportmart, sport chalet) try their online stores. Btw, don't pay more then a buck or two for a puck :D

My 1st mod was a change to Goodyear MT/Rs in 30x9.50 and without any lift they didn't rub anywhere, but the lower control arms. When I lifted it I switched to an adjustable lower control arm and the rubbing stopped. I don't think that it hurt anything when they did rub, but it attracted a lot of attention in a parking lot!

30x9.50's tucked nicely on my '97 when I had a 2 inch BB. I didn'y extend the bumpstops, so I think they will tuck just the same without any lift.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Kejtar said:

i couldn`t find any hockey pucks locally so i used two large wheels i found on the bottom casters of an old tool box.........they were already removed and they are solid urethane........3 or " diameter works perfect

xjhm said:
i couldn`t find any hockey pucks locally so i used two large wheels i found on the bottom casters of an old tool box.........they were already removed and they are solid urethane........3 or " diameter works perfect

I have a ton of pucks lying around - if anyone needs a couple, .50 cents each plus shipping. I can make arrangements to drop off/pick up in either LA or San Fran too - I'm back and forth a lot. PM me if interested.

Back