• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulls to the left after locker install

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a lockright in the front (D30) this weekend. Now it pulls a bit to the left. Any ideas? It drove perfectly straight b4. I didn't disconnect anything with the steering, so I am baffled.

We need more info. Disconnect axle or not? When does it pull and what are you doing when it does? Also, check to make sure your tires are at the same pressure and tread depth on both sides.

Jared

Yup, that is a disco 30. That's why it pulls to the left. Your right shaft is disconnected so the drag from the driveshaft is transfered through to your left tire making your jeep want to pull to the left.
Let me guess, it does this mostly at freeway speeds?
Your only solution is to engage your hub permanently and spin both front shafts. That will distribute the drag to both tires.

Well, all of that is true and I agree but this is on a non-disco axle....sorry I didn't say that....now what do you have to say? :)

Jered, I see that you got that front hitch on....did it go on ok?

bretto said:
Well, all of that is true and I agree but this is on a non-disco axle....sorry I didn't say that....now what do you have to say? :)

Hmmmm....I'm stumped, what kind of locker? Lockwrong?
(get ready for rambling) Lockrights have a way of locking one side in when not under torque, this means the gears are meshed on one side but not the other. So you could be doing the same thing, transfering the drag through just one tire. Try it out in four and see if it still drags, that should be able to give you an idea what it's doing. They act funny in front axles since there isn't any torque being applied through the shafts. The lockers rely on the torque to lock. Once enough torque is applied through the centerpin to overcome the springs and spread the inner gears the locker locks. However, when no torque is applied the springs disengage the gears. The thing about a lockright is they're never fully disengaged like an ARB, they don't diffenciate, it's either all to both tires or all to one. So when the locker is disengaged, it can ratched but only to one tire, power is still fully applied to one tire.

Check your tire pressures and also make sure both tires on that axle have similar wear so that they are the same diameter. This will only apply when in 4wd though. When in 2wd it should be transparent.

Back