• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Setup?

Lincoln

NAXJA Member #321
NAXJA Member
Pinion deaper?

BL .006
Pinion Preload 12 in/lbs.

This one is being a pain.

gear1.jpg

gear2.jpg

Thanks,
Lincoln

Are you sure you have the right carrier? looks like it is just a little off just looking for the obvious stuff. Do you have the correct carrier break

Yes it't the correct carrier. The backlash didn't take much to shim.

I when ahead and went a little deaper. The drive side is nice and centered, but the coast side is pretty high.

Thanks,
Lincoln

the pinion needs to go deeper into mesh. add .003" and reset the backlash to .005-.009 and see where you get.

send the pics direct to me at
[email protected]
and I can give you a quicker response.
but I wouldn't send a set of gears out with that kind of pattern...
keep trying, its kinda an art. you'll get it...

Definately incerase the pinion depth shim.

BTW, does anyone else see the Wrangler YJ in the pics? I thought this was an XJ board? :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :roll:

Bryan

how come no one is asking what backlash he has?

sure, the pinion looks wayyyyy tooooo shallow....

but the backlash could be jacked too.

Lincoln, you posted your pinion preload....

don't worry about that to the last.

Now you guys have me all worried and I've already put it together. I only ended up going another .003". Drive side pattern looks good. The coast side is small and high on the tooth, but fully on the tooth and centered.

I kept going deaper with the pinion and it was looking worse not better. I wanted to make sure I was even going the right direction. The last 3 thousandths made a major improvent.

I'll see what kind of mood I'm in tonight and I'll pull the cover and run another pattern for pics. That way you can tell me it's still crappy and I can do it again.

That YJ (dad's again) is about ready to be shot and put out to pasture. If I had a loader handy it would have been put back on the trailer and delivered to the dump. :D

Thanks,
Lincoln

Mark Hinkley said:
I have no idea about the setup but man that shop is a MESS!!!! :D

hinkley

I can see our resident butt is back. You should see the wide angle shot. :scared:

Thanks for caring.

Lincoln, to get a good pattern, spin the ring gear into the pinion, don't spin the pinion to make the ring gear spin....

i always get much better patterns this way.

post pics of your sucky patterns so we can keep making fun of you.

and why the hell wouldya need to pull the cover?

you shouldnta put the damn thing on until your stuff was CORRECT.

what? you trying to keep your chuckars from nesting in there?

I was being a pouting little baby and told him that "it's good enough". If they went out he could buy some new ones. :D

Not a good weekend for working on it. Hovering in the low 50's :sunshine: and my boat is waiting in the driveway for some new gas line and my Jeep is setting behind the fence waiting to go play. Next weekend I'm going to play at least one day.

Spring fever has hit me bad and I've been waiting for warmer weather to clean the garage. I'm even thinking about postponing any work on my Jeep until much later in the year.

You shouldn't be making fun of me anyway. I'm really sensitive and might start crying. :D

Beezil said:
what diff is that anyway?

dana turdie?

if so, i highly recommend you run a tighter backlash.

Yup, when I put it back together it's somewhere around .004"-.0045". Is that tight enough?

you're probably alright, it's gonna open up to .010+ soon. It's only a turdy, I wouldn't worry about it.

OneTonXJ said:
you're probably alright, it's gonna open up to .010+ soon. It's only a turdy, I wouldn't worry about it.

thats a no-shitter.

trouble-shooting a turdie set-up is a waste of naxja resources.

kick it to the curb, slim.

I tried to dump it. Even tried to talk him into welding the ring and pinion Sunday afternoon. Told him welding a few gussets from the carrier to the housing might not be a bad idea either. :D

He really worked hard at trying to move the welders and plasma out of the garage when I said I was going to pop the hole for the ARB line with the plasma and braze the fitting in. :laugh3:

If he knew what JU was I would have told him I heard it was a good mod there.

Looks like I won't do much with it for a few day's. I'm going to get drunk and go to the movies. They haven't been too busy since some guy accidentally shot his pistol in the bathrooms a few weeks ago.

That thing should last forever anyway. It's got a 4 cyl and see's about 500 miles a year.

Back