• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 swap?

cherokeepimpin

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 85 cherokee with a 2.8l. the 2.8l sucks but didnt realize it until i started to run 33's. so as far as the swap goes i have a couple of questions

1.when it comes to motor mount will i be able to use motor mounts(actually adapters to adapt engine to stock mounts) made for an s10 with a 2.8. or if anyone makes motor mounts for a cherokee for this swap(prefferably not weld in)

2. transmission mounting. what will i have to do to get a th400 or 700r4 to mount into my cherokee. is there a chance in hell that they would line up with stock crossmember or would i have to make(hopefully not) a custom crossmember

thanks everyone for your help

There is a lot of info on site, if you use the search feature...put shortly it can be done...is it easy? no...nothing bolts up...you need very strong fab and mechanical skills..however a 3.4 such as from a Camaro virtually bolts in and would be a huge improvement. There are a couple of naxja members that have done the v-8 conversion with very good end results.

Motor Mounts are going to be weld-in only. you dont want to bolt something like that on!
Advance Adaptors for those. You will need to decide which Transfer case your going to use. The Trans Crossmember is actually going to be your adaptor. And you can run a Stock crossmember in the stock location with a 700r4 (If you use a NP231 or NP242) Other Transfer cases I cant vouch for.
You will need to drill the Crossmember for a standard GM trans mount. It uses 3 holes as opposed to Jeeps 4.
Other than that, watch for Diff clearance, Hood clearance, Oil filter clearance, Cooling, Exhaust, and front driveshaft clearance.
good luck!
plumbing_1.JPG

Jeep%20Back%20Low.JPG

cherokeepimpin said:
i have an 85 cherokee with a 2.8l. the 2.8l sucks but didnt realize it until i started to run 33's. so as far as the swap goes i have a couple of questions

1.when it comes to motor mount will i be able to use motor mounts(actually adapters to adapt engine to stock mounts) made for an s10 with a 2.8. or if anyone makes motor mounts for a cherokee for this swap(prefferably not weld in)

2. transmission mounting. what will i have to do to get a th400 or 700r4 to mount into my cherokee. is there a chance in hell that they would line up with stock crossmember or would i have to make(hopefully not) a custom crossmember

thanks everyone for your help

Last edited:
Back