• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ 8.25 as strong as D44?

cherokeepimpin

NAXJA Forum User
i was searching around forums about axle swaps. in one of the posts i read that an 8.25 with 29 spline axles is almost as strong as an xj 44. is this true?
if so would the 8.25 hold up to a small block chevy(planning on swapping this spring)? or would i be better off to spend the extra money to do an 8.8 swap(i cant weld so i would have to pay someone to weld for me)

The 44 is a lil stronger.

Is this going to be a smallblock and stock tires? or 38s? details details. :D

It's pretty close. The 44 has no c-clips and a flanged axle. Thge 8.25 has slightly thicker shafts and tubes. Setting up an 8.25 is a TON easier. (with the right tool...) ;)

There probably is for the 29-spline versions. ('97 and later)
It's a nice upgrade for someone with a D35 or an earlier 8.25

what about aftermarket shafts or any way to strengthen the 29 spline 8.25 up a little? havent searched for 29 spline, but i cant find anything for my 27 spline in the way of yukon shafts or something similar.

Mark

redjeepguy said:
what about aftermarket shafts or any way to strengthen the 29 spline 8.25 up a little? havent searched for 29 spline, but i cant find anything for my 27 spline in the way of yukon shafts or something similar.

Mark
Dutchman axles are a popular upgrade. I will be going with them in March.

Back