• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody running Goodyear Wranglers ?

Stick said:
Anybody running Goodyear Wranglers ? I saw a set and they looked pretty good.

I am currently running 31x10.5x15" Goodyear Wrangler AT/D's. I've had them for about 2 years now, and they are wearing nicely. I haven't had any problems with them thus far. However, I can't wait until next year when I have the money for some Mickey Thompson Super Swampers.

BuddhaBudz said:
However, I can't wait until next year when I have the money for some Mickey Thompson Super Swampers.
Ummm...that's two different companies there. M/T produces Baja Pro, Baja Belted, Baja Belted HP, Stonewall, Desert King, Mini Mag, Baja Claw, Competition Claw and Cepek Giant Puller but not Super Swampers. Those are made by Interco

Back to the original question - which Wranglers are you looking at?

I've got a set of Goodyear Wrangler RTS. The best description for them is "Rain Traction Sucks" . . . but, they should really be called MTW's - Mud Traction Worse. So, i guess it depends on the specific Wrangler model. The RTS are terrible - pretty slick on wet pavement, and they cake with mud so bad that even after a couple hundred feet on pavement at 25 - 35 MPH the tread is still filled with mud.

I've got a set on my '03 Grand Cherokee, great for the highway, but not for offroading. Had a set on my '94 Grand and got rid of them as soon as I could. Had a set on my '85 Cherokee and got rid of them too!!

Get the picture!!!!!!

The good years are generally a fairly long wearing tire, figure about 60,000 if you don't beat them up. They are poor on wet roads but great on wet roads if you are an adrenaline junkie or like to spin donuts. The best wet road all around tire is the Pirelli Scorpion AT, Sears used to sell them at a resonable price,$80 ea, then stopped and the local Pirelli dealers think they should be priced in the porsche and ferrari range, I'm not paying $160 a tire plus M&Balancing.
Had Dunlop radial rover AT's on it, they were OK and lasted about 60,000, currently running BFG AT/KO's, got them at Sams club mounted, balanced and roadhazard for IIRC $104 ea in LT 235/75R15. They are very good so far, not as good as the scorpions on wet roads but they are wearing better. Good in snow, normal on ice, OK in mud, good on rocks, OK in loose dirt, OK in sand. I like the extra sidwall protection bead, no edge dents on my wheels yet :D
Alot of people I have talked to that have Truxus tires are happy with them, mostly on TJ's so they may be an option for you. The only GY's that are any good are the MT's from what I am hearing, have not priced them but they are a bit on the pricey side.
Ever notice how many take offs are available on Ebay, there is a reason for that :D

I have a set on my Blazer and they do ok. Not an off-road tire at all though.

I am running Goodyear MT/R's in Minnesota. Ok snow traction, only fair rain traction, great traction in Moab, should be really good in deep mud. They are very noisy!!! on the road. I had some T/A All terrains on a Ranger 4x4 and they were quiet, long lasting, with excellent traction in everything but thick mud. T/A's also have an extra ridge of rubber for protection from rocks. I need 2 new rims after Moab.

Too may different models to just say "GY Wranglers"...... RTS, AT/S, AT/D, HP, ?

I've worn out a set of AT/S tires. Okay for on-road. I've also worn out a set of 31x10.50 MT/Rs, better than 60,000 miles, and am on a set of 33x12.50 MT/Rs.

Contrary to popular belief, MT/Rs do NOT do well in mud. The tread doesn't clean out well. Siping the center tread blocks helps a lot on wet roads. I'm also pretty happy with how quiet they are, the noise is coming from other parts of my Heep.

The original Goodyear Wranglers (probably the ones that red87 was referring to) that came on my '00 XJ were terrible. After my wife spun out getting on a freeway entrance ramp in the rain, I bought new tires the next day (literally).

The new ones were the Pirrelli Scorpion A/T's (Purchased at a local tire chain for a little over $100 a pop - 235/70/16 mounted on my stock XJ). I have to say that those tires are terrible off road. The traction is great, but the sidewalls are so thin at the shoulder, you could put a butter knife through them. I had the tires for 1,500 miles, took them down a designated trail for unmodified SUV's in SoCal, and punctured 3 out of four tires. Two of the tires I had to replace because the sidewall damage was so extensive. I can email you pictures if you want, I still have the damaged tires.

If you do any kind of off roading, get BFG's-period. I did the Rubicon in a set of A/T's without any problems, switched to M/T's and have been impressed with the abuse they take.

Goodyear AT/S and RT/S suck in mud, but last forever. I found that neither self-clean well in sticky mud or snow.

I run 32" MT/R's on my XJ and they are excellent in mud, asphalt, gravel, rocks, etc. Tried them a little in snow and they are Ok. They really rip through mud. Don't expect more than 20-25K miles out of them max. They are expensive, too.

Back