• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MSXL Gurus, please help!

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
This is a bit of an oddity, but I'm building an auto math calculator in XL2K. I've got the hang of formulae (when I finally get all the cell addys right!) but this is the wierd one...

To save typing in gear ratios (I intend to put this out for general use,) I'd like to be able to put the model number of the transmission in, and have XJ plug in the ratios from some sort of "lookup" table. I've been thru help, and I'm still a bit buffaloed. Anyone have any better ideas? I don't usually play about with advanced Office functions, so I'm hoping someone here knows how to do something like this...

5-90

Check out the VLOOKUP function. It has some limitations. You need to keep you list sorted. I've included a sample Ziped worksheet. The sheet has a combobox that allows you to pick from the list. I think it will require that you allow macros to be enabled. You CAN trust me though -- really.

I no expert on XL by the way. I just manage to get by with lots of fiddling, and hair pulling.

Lou -
Got the file DL'd, and I'll start deconstructing it later, as well as a more detailed perusal of the help files. It's just something that I wasn't sure M$ would call it, so I wanted to hear from someone that had probably done it before...

Hopefully I can figure this out from here!

5-90

Back