• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Master Cylinder Alternatives

HossHoffer

NAXJA Forum User
I did a forum search and didn't find info addressing this. After two rebuilds and two new master cylinders in the last 2 and 1/2 years I'm trying something new. Has anyone adapted a master cylinder from another vehicle to an XJ? Any recommendations for a donor? I found a Honda that has about the same throw and cylinder diameter.

On the other hand, has anyone had 'good luck' with any particular brand of OEM master cylinder?

The factory clutch MC on my '88 lasted 204,000 miles. The release bearing went bad at 204K and at that point I did a pre-emptive strike and replaced everything (I thought -- forgot the line between the master and slave, so naturally that blew on me last Fall). Everyone seems to have problems with aftermarket clutch hydraulics, and nobody seems to have problems with the factory parts, so that's what I put in. I'm now at 247,000 and (knock on wood) all's well.

I went through this many years ago with my 89 XJ. At this point I don't even recall how many times the master and slave cylinders were replaced in a period of about two months, but it got mighty ^%&^% expensive. I finally learned that the retail house that supplied my mechanic had almost a 100% failure rate on those master cylinders...we went to the dealer and got their part and I would have been okay except for one small detail. After 8 years of baking near teh exhaust manifold, the rubber line between master and slave was brittle. The higher pressures of two new cylinders was enough to make it burst...get yours replaced while doing the rest of the parts replacements

Its all in the components used. I had this problem I lost em master or was it slave after 1 year and 2-3 months. When I went to go to the 94 system it woudl not adapt the slave was entirely different. So I'd say go Jeep or go home! :)

I am so happy someone started this thread. I am having issues with my clutch- not disengaing well/hard to get into gear. Bled system twice with little bleeder screw.Gets better but doesn't last. Still somewhat confused as to whether I have internal or external slave. Also read not supposed to bleed? Anyone have photos? Clutch is only 25,000 miles old. I am trying to diagnose the problem. Thinking about replacing M/C and slave but all this talk has me worried...Getting ready for 2 month cross country camping/road trip and need truck RELIABLE. Any thoughts? How much would I expect to pay for the whole hydro system being replaced with OEM parts? Thanks- TJ

truckeejeeper said:
I am so happy someone started this thread. I am having issues with my clutch- not disengaing well/hard to get into gear. Bled system twice with little bleeder screw.Gets better but doesn't last. Still somewhat confused as to whether I have internal or external slave. Also read not supposed to bleed? Anyone have photos? Clutch is only 25,000 miles old. I am trying to diagnose the problem. Thinking about replacing M/C and slave but all this talk has me worried...Getting ready for 2 month cross country camping/road trip and need truck RELIABLE. Any thoughts? How much would I expect to pay for the whole hydro system being replaced with OEM parts? Thanks- TJ

slave and master are about $170 EACH from MOPAR...plus labor...I was quoted a minimum of $400 plus parts for the job. sooo...about $800 for that...sorry ain't gonna do it...jeep goes to another sucker...er...I mean owner...I'm tired of replacing this crap....too much too often

I don't have a great experience with the XJ, in my ownership for less than 2 years, but being very old (1984), things need to be changed. The clutch master cylinder started leaking to the inside of the cabin some months ago. Knowing that brake fluid and electrical things do not like each other, I ordered a new cylinder from 4WD. Immediately after it was installed, it leaked worst than my original one. Finally, my mechanic was able to service the original one, and this is what I use today.

To their credit, 4WD offered to return my money, after I wrote to complain. Good customer service on their behalf. I guess this is one of those things that you better get from DC.

Rgds
----------
John

I got one from Napa for $110 seven months ago and it's still working fine. However, I've read some bad things about Napa MC's on this site, so I'm still kind of holding my breath. As for the labor cost, you should be able to find someone near you that does private work out of their own garage. I think every state in the union requires at least two private mechanics every 2.2 square miles. Find one, and you'll pay $100 labor, tops.

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the options this morning and here is what they are:
  • First is no more AutoZone. They won't honor the warrantee after the first swap.
  • Second NAPA has a premium MC for $168.
  • Third is Jeep dealer has a MOPAR for $235.
I'm going to give the NAPA one a try. I would have used it before but it already had the AutoZone one in it and I was trying to get some warrantee relief. If this doesn't work then I'm definitely going to adapt from another vehicle. I'll keep you posted.

there was a write up on this not to long ago on pirate 4x4. some guy switched most of his braking stuff out with that of a wj. bigger breaking components

small pederson said:
there was a write up on this not to long ago on pirate 4x4. some guy switched most of his braking stuff out with that of a wj. bigger breaking components

um...clutch issue, not brakes....totally different

hmm, well i must have been on crack this morning not to have noticed that...but its still good tech anyway

Yes, I'd like to know how youre NAPA one is holding up. I work there so I want to know if its worth it to take advantage of my employee discount at NAPA or not (its pretty close to wholesale cost). NAPA however is going to another brand right now with their hydraulic components so maybe a better brand.

Back