• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which altenator wire +?

Tom Campbell

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there folks its been awhile. Ok so I have a question, i have a 98 cherokee that has the heavy duty electrical package. i believe the amp my alt is rated at is something around 115. So anyways i need to know which wire is positive because i am trying to upgrade some of the systems wires for my stereo. Anyhow there are three wires. Two that apper to be slightl;y bigger than 10 guage but not 8, and one small green one. The thicker two are seperated. One is on top (closest to hho) while the other one and the green one are on bottom attached to a small box that i would guess is part of the regulator?
Thanks for any help provided!

I just happened to be at the shop that I work at so I printed up a wiring diagram. The wire are as follows. The black/white wire is the connection to the battery. The wire starts at the power distribution center on the right side of the engine compartment and makes its way to the alternator. If you are upgrading this wire it has a fuseable link (10 gauge) that must be replaced or reused. The dark green orange and dark green wires go to the powertrain control module for signal for the generator field wires. and the black wire is the ground wire. Hope this will do the trick. Thank God for the Mithcell repair computer soft ware. Any other wiring questions look me up I ve got wiring diagrams for every make and model out there. Good luck!

Joe

Tom, according to my Jeep Technical Specs Guide, all 98 XJ's had the 117 amp alt. That surprised me because I too thought that there was a heavy duty electrical package that came with (at least) the towing package and all the rest were lower rated. It looks like the tow package additions were radiator, auxiliary fan and auxiliary trans cooler.
Sorry, no help here on the wiring but SOOLONG looks like he's got it down. :D

Back