• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door guards and rocker guards!!!

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone run door guards with their rocker guards? check this site out:

www.performancemw.com

how often does anyone really hit their doors on the trail? i am considering purchasing these, since i have no protection on the rear quarter panels and they are reasonably priced...

let me know what ya'll think about these, or if i should just fab my own.

brandon

"the sweet would not be so sweet without the bitter..."

A friend of mine got some on his XJ. He likes them ok, but he wishes they didn't stop at the lowest bend on the door, leaving the bottom 1"+ bare. Here are some pics:
f97fb6ad.jpg

f97fb6ab.jpg

f97fb6a7.jpg

The rear quarter guards are the BPI caps that come with the BPI rear bumper, not from PMW.

Here are my rear quarter panel guards:
fc5102c1.jpg

fc467f0b.jpg

fc467f01.jpg

Mine aren't very thick, because the rear quarters aren't very strong and reinforced to begin with, so they are still going to buckle if hit hard enough. I just made them out of aluminum because I got tired of sanding and repainting the rock chips from not have fender flares. I rivoted them on and used a polyurethane sealant caulk to keep out debris and moisture.

Ours are now available too.
The connection method on ours is a bit more involved since they are also intended to serve as the mounting point for the rear D pillar on our cage.
Quarter-Guard-On-1.jpg

C-RokRQG_021.jpg

Those look very nice,

Will they work with Bushwacker Flares? It has been too long since did the mod, I cant remember how far back the BW flares go.

C-ROK said:
The connection method on ours is a bit more involved since they are also intended to serve as the mounting point for the rear D pillar on our cage.
Quarter-Guard-On-1.jpg

C-RokRQG_021.jpg

Depending on how far back you mount your flares, you may need to trim the body contacting edge of the flare to fit 'over' the guard if you want to achieve a tight and flush appearance.
The Guards do stop well short of the actual pinch seam on the fenderwell.

:thumbup: I ordered mine from the Performance Metal Works and love them. 4 door models are an 8 piece set covering each door along with front and rear quarter panels. Mine had the rubber grooved plating mounted from the factory and this has to removed but this was not a problem for me since they were beginning to deteriorate anyway.

shimmy said:
does anyone run door guards with their rocker guards? check this site out:

www.performancemw.com

how often does anyone really hit their doors on the trail? i am considering purchasing these, since i have no protection on the rear quarter panels and they are reasonably priced...

let me know what ya'll think about these, or if i should just fab my own.

brandon

"the sweet would not be so sweet without the bitter..."

If your rocker gaurds are built right and stick out a little, I don't see a need for the door gaurds. Anything that is going to hit the bottom of the doors will be stopped by the rocker gaurds anyway. I'm in the process of building my rocker gaurds now and what I did was drop a string from the plastic door trim down and set the edge of my rocker gaurd in line with that. That way nothing can hit the bottom edge of the doors. As for the rear quarter gaurds, I agree those would be nice especially if you don't have the rear plastic bumper end caps like my 99 still has on it.

Last edited:
XJBill said:
If your rocker gaurds are built right and stick out a little, I don't see a need for the door gaurds. Anything that is going to hit the bottom of the doors will be stopped by the rocker gaurds anyway. I'm in the process of building my rocker gaurds now and what I did was drop a string from the plastic door trim down and set the edge of my rocker gaurd in line with that. That way nothing can hit the bottom edge of the doors. As for the rear quarter gaurds, I agree those would be nice especially if you don't have the rear plastic bumper end caps like my 99 still has on it.

i'm planning on running the c4x4 double tube rocker guards, and still deciding on the door guards. i have an after four real steel rear bumper so i had to remove the plastic rear quarter guards on my 98 xj.

Hello, I am the owner of PMW. I originally had the door gaurds go to the bottom of the door. This proved to be a problem due to the fact that the lower door seal prohibits any mounting holes being placed there. It also makes it too hard to bend the door back into place if it does get hit hard enough to bend it.

I just got PMW's 2-door guards without the rear quater (gonna chop that off this week). I'm not much for fixing every dent or scratch, but I had tons of dents in that part of my door (yes, they do get hit if you actually wheel). So I went ahead and wasted some money on them. I really like them, so I guess can say I didn't waste the money. I used rivets, and painted the whole bottom of the door over again, rather than just the guard. _nicko_

I'm getting a set for my two door from CagedXj as well. I'm using mine to cover up the scraps in the driver door and the dent I got from hitting a pole in the pass. side.

CagedXJ, I going to check on a business address today and then I will get back to you.

Sounds good Weasel! I have sent you an email .

C-ROK said:

What's the poop on your rear bumper (not pictured) - that's one sexy b!tch.

When you expecting to start selling them? Estimated price?

r@m

Back