• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop in locker in a trac lok 8.25 carrier

XAIRCAV

NAXJA Forum User
When installing a drop in locker(lock right, powertrax etc.) in a trac lok equipted
8.25 carrier do the clutch plates have to be removed? If not, what to use for diff lube(additive?) I've heard a 1 7/16" nut on the end of a 1" X1" piece of tube steel can be used to adjust the spanners. True or false?

XAIRCAV said:
When installing a drop in locker(lock right, powertrax etc.) in a trac lok equipted
8.25 carrier do the clutch plates have to be removed? If not, what to use for diff lube(additive?) I've heard a 1 7/16" nut on the end of a 1" X1" piece of tube steel can be used to adjust the spanners. True or false?

When I installed a no slip into my 8.25 I have taken everything out from inside the carrier: that includes spiders, clutches and trac loc shims. After that I put in valvoline synth mix lube.

XAIRCAV said:

It's recently been covered here; you can make one of the adjuster tools from an old tie rod, a front axle nut from a D30 (26mm is what I measured) and a 1/2" bolt; check out the thread at

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20239

for the full story.

Kejtar said:
Btw, you should be able to put the locker in without having to pull the carrier out, thus making the tool unneeded.

I don't know about that; it was tough enough getting the clutch plates compressed enough to get the spider gears out with the case on the bench. After that, I found out the retainer pin for the No-Slip wouldn't fit without grinding the ring gear (4.56's). I'm not saying it can't be done since this is the first time I've done an 8.25; just what my experience has been so far. I'm still waiting for a puller for the case & pinion bearings so I can get busy setting it up.

NN4S said:
I don't know about that; it was tough enough getting the clutch plates compressed enough to get the spider gears out with the case on the bench. After that, I found out the retainer pin for the No-Slip wouldn't fit without grinding the ring gear (4.56's). I'm not saying it can't be done since this is the first time I've done an 8.25; just what my experience has been so far. I'm still waiting for a puller for the case & pinion bearings so I can get busy setting it up.

Actually once you get the pin, then what you do is turn the driveshaft in the reverse direction (I think it was reverse) and the spiders will pop out.

OK, these are the instructions that I was given by someone to dissaemble and they worked fine:
Put the rear differential on jack stands, remove the differential cover, remove a small bolt holding the center shaft in, push the two axle shafts inward about 1/4", remove the C-clips, push out the center shaft, rotate the axle with vehicle in gear to spin out the spider gears,
pull out the axles about 1", remove the side gears and clutch packs and the install the No-Slip.

And you probably want to grind that ring gear a bit for easier future emergency removal and reinstallations.

Back