• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can write.. sorry, advice needed for "cheromanche"

XJ-Cutter

NAXJA Forum User
Hello together,

as first thing I have to say Yippie, because I wait nearly two days of authorisation, and it was quite hard for me ;-) just kidding!

Ok hello to the board, I am a new visitor from the other side of the sea, or better to say from germany. This board is quite good to learn a lot of this nice car, and I would like to try out at best to say what I mean, but please be considerationful, my english is not the best.

Today I would like to ask you all, if you have any advice for my close starting project of building an "Cheromanche" like the one from brent orton, or some others, if there are pictures what could help me so that I do not scrap my car, or that I get a toaster after stopping the jigsaw ;-)

So thats it, feel free to give me any information what could be needful for me!

Thanks in advance, and good morning over the sea!

Regards Cutter

Guten Tag, Cutter!

Joaquim is one of our German members who built his XJ. Hopefully he will help translate as needed.

Search also for posts by Beezil.

Several of our members have created "Cheromanches." Brent Orton did an early one. I believe Rev Den has now modified his XJ in a similar way. You might receive the most comprehensive information by contacting the people who have performed this modification directly.

You will need to decide if you wish to enclose the rear of the "cabin" or leave it open. If you decide to enclose it, you will have two options: (1) a permanent, non-moving enclosure such as the rear enclosure of the cabin of a pick-up truck, or (2) an operable lift gate, which might be as simple as moving the stock lift gate forward and modifying its shape to provide an enclosure.

I thought I remembered Rev Den posting a lot of pictures of his while it was in progress, but I just did a search and I found a post from last year that had no pictures in it. I guess the link expired, but if you contact him directly he can probably give you a new link or send you the pictures direct.

Hey Guys,

thanks a lot, I found some useful material what I can use. The idea with Joachim is not bad, but he has not done the modifikation what I am on the way to do, I know him, and I was off the road with him some times.

Will see, I make pictures when I start the saw and let you know if I get a toaster...

Regards Cutter

Ummmm. Am I the only one wondering what is a "Toaster" ???

(I have a feeling it isn't pretty, whatever it is :D )

I think he maybe making a joke that if he cuts too much he will end up with enough left to build an actual toaster? Or it could go that if he cuts to much the whole thing is "toast"? I like the first one better. funnier to me.

Then again I could be totally lost as well. My .02 Daryl.

Jepp,

Jeonlyep is right, I have a little panic to get this:
To160-75.jpg

after cutting the top.

It is a "german joke" to say now we have a toaster...

Regards Cutter

AEV was actually producing these in 98 and 99. I have not talked to dave in a few years but he did have a whole rear roll bar thing that went from front to back and had a removable soft top kind of like a Geo Tracker or Isuzu. His is the only one I have seen when he had it here at the house back in 98.
www.aev.com

Hi RichP,

yes I know the one from AEV, nearly like this I will build my one, but not open.
Is Dave an employe of AEV? I mean can I contact him for further informations or pics from the perform of their vehicles?

On the webpage I can't find anything about their Mods.

Regards Cutter

XJ-Cutter said:
Jepp,

Jeonlyep is right, I have a little panic to get this:
To160-75.jpg

after cutting the top.

It is a "german joke" to say now we have a toaster...

Regards Cutter
MMMMMM brotchen. Send me some.

Dave owns AEV, he also builds stretched TJ's and heavy custom ZJ's. Heck, if you ask him nice he might even send you the pics of how he does/did it. Living where you do that snap on back cover would be a necessity and at a minumum I would ask him how much for a top all by itself...
Also a couple here have turned the XJ into to complete convertible, somewhere there is a pic of a yellow one sitting on top of a big rock but I have not seen it in along time.

Ok thanks,

I will try to contact him, and see what he said.

@Eagle:
My plan is to make one with enclosure lift gate at the end, and maybee (but not easy to get in germany) with the backdoor of an MJ.
Do you know somebody who has done the same at his one who I can contact directly?
I found somewhere a picture of a red one with backside liftgate, but it was only a very small one without details, so I was not shure if it was a joke or reality :)

Hmm, I can't just sit on my chair and wait for the day where my garage is empty, so I can start to work on my jeep. I would like to drive on some places with the finished one this year.

Regards Cutter

Back