• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LeBaron hood vents installed

xtremewlr

NAXJA Forum User
I recently finished installing some LeBaron hood vents and painted my hood (the beginnings of painting the whole jeep :laugh3: ). Deffinatly made a differance in underhood temps, I highly reccomend this mod.

IMG_0027.sized.jpg

Pics of the whole process can be seen here:

http://xj.rockmongers.com/gallery/hoodvents/

I also put a set of vents on last night but mine were from Trans Am. They were installed towards the rear of the hood but they are turned around from what would be the stock look. I think they look GREAT. Also brought the running temp down from 210 to just a hair over 185.
Digger

digger4u said:
I also put a set of vents on last night but mine were from Trans Am. They were installed towards the rear of the hood but they are turned around from what would be the stock look. I think they look GREAT. Also brought the running temp down from 210 to just a hair over 185.
Digger

I havent noticed any change in the operating temps of the engine. The only difference that I have seen so far has been the reduced underhood temps. And that was a drastic difference. Way lower now than without the vents.

digger4u said:
Digger
Can we get a pic of the T.A. vents. I was looking at doing the same thing.

digger4u said:
sorry guys i dont know how to post a pic here.
Digger

Use this:

Code:
[img] [url]http://url_to_image[/url] [/img]

Or the "Insert Image" link that is located right under the Color selection drop down box. It looks like a little mountain with a yellow sky.

xtremewlr said:
I recently finished installing some LeBaron hood vents and painted my hood (the beginnings of painting the whole jeep :laugh3: ). Deffinatly made a differance in underhood temps, I highly reccomend this mod.

IMG_0027.sized.jpg

Pics of the whole process can be seen here:

http://xj.rockmongers.com/gallery/hoodvents/

Got any under side pics. I need to do those too. I have a set, just need to install...PROPERLY.

JohnJohn said:
What did you screw the screws into? They look to be flush???

JohnJohn

I used short machine screws and a nut on the backside. I also made some small tabs the the screws go thru to hold the vents to the hood. The tabs are just thin sheetmetal cut to size and bent by had. Id like the make a bracket that actually goes the full length of the vent on the underside to spread the load on the hood more. I think it would sit a little better that way (not that its sits bad now). Ill get close up pics of the brackets and mounting for you tomorrow.

i take it that is the best location to mount the vents? imthinking about installing ones from a pontiac gtp, just trying to figure out the best place to mount them

thanks zach

rolz4x4 said:
i take it that is the best location to mount the vents? imthinking about installing ones from a pontiac gtp, just trying to figure out the best place to mount them

thanks zach

Its what I found worked best for me. Your best bet is to get a style of vent that you like and just start placing them on the hood in various positions to see what you like the most. Just try not to cut into the hood supports underneath if it can be avoided. A small amount is fine like I did, but too much and your hood could buckle with enuf airflow underneath it (highway speeds).

xtremewlr said:
I used short machine screws and a nut on the backside. I also made some small tabs the the screws go thru to hold the vents to the hood. The tabs are just thin sheetmetal cut to size and bent by had. Id like the make a bracket that actually goes the full length of the vent on the underside to spread the load on the hood more. I think it would sit a little better that way (not that its sits bad now). Ill get close up pics of the brackets and mounting for you tomorrow.

Pics of the underside as promised:

IMG_0001_001.sized.jpg

IMG_0002_001.sized.jpg

IMG_0005_002.sized.jpg

IMG_0007_002.sized.jpg

Don't forget to protect your windshield when you are doing the cutting! I have heard of a couple people that ended up with serious pitting from the sparks / metal frags.
I have some of these vents if anyone is interested.
Chris

Back