• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate compatibility '88 to '94 !?!

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I was planning on swapping an AW4 in my '88 MJ that has the Peugeot 5 speed this weekend, but just read in the other flexplate thread that the flexplates are different from the non-HO motors to the HO motors. are they matched with the engine or the tranny?

I have a '94 AW4 with the '94 flexplate, will I be able to bolt it up to my '88 4.0???

if not, where can I get an 87-89ish flexplate? Will the dealer have it? I saw mention in the other thread of Crown, but their site doesn't list the AW4?

The difference is the non-HO-RENIX system or the HO-Chrysler system.One has notches the other windows.
What ever ignition/ECU system your motor has determins the flex plate/flywheel you need.
Wayne

The engines are internally about the same ... engine balance is not the problem. All flex plates bolt up to all year engines.

The difference is in the CPS trigger ring. The flex plate for the '87 thru '90 Renix system will not work with the Mopar injection/ignition system, and the flex plate for the Mopar system will not work if you have a Renix injection/ignition system.

Match the flex plate to your injection, not to the year of the engine.

mad maXJ said:
Arakele, you used an '88 block, but which ECU system did you use? Chrysler or Renix?

92 head/intake/exhaust/computer

88 block with internals.

i had to leave the old style CTS in block (to keep the water in)
and re-use the tstat housing from the newer style for the sensor. i also left (forgot all about) the old filter housing(SAE standard) rather then pulling off the new one (metric). but i dont get jiffy quick to mess...err change my oil, so thats not really a concern of getting the wrong filter.

i may go with a 96+ double roller cam/head design with a 99+ intake manifold eventually

mad maXJ said:
$54 dollars at Autozone for one made by Pioneer, whaddya think?

I paid $60 for a Crown a year ago -- probably the same thing. It survived a drive from Connecticut to Montana and is serving the new owner well as of a week ago, so I think it's an okay purchase.

Jeepster4wd said:
is that for a flexplate?

Yes. '88 XJ 4.0L AW-4.

I couldn;t believe the old flex plate. When I took it out, the crack ran about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way around the hub bolt ring. It's a miracle it didn't let go before I got to it. The kid I bought it from had been out in the woods flogging it.

Back