• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What T-stat should I use stock 192 or lower?

Joe

NAXJA Member #887
Will be installing new radiatior, water pump, radiator filter, belt, hoses and termostat. My question is should I do the stock 192 or should I go lower???????????

Thanks,
Joe

Use the stock,and buy it from the Dealer,it comes with the gasket and has the vent hole in it.
Last one I purchased was around $7
Wayne

The dealer will give you the option of the standard 195* or the sever duty 180*. If you don't have overheating problems, go with the standard, if you do, you may want to consider the severe duty. They are both OEM at the Jeep parts dept.

I have a 180* t-stat in mine and I am happy with it. DONT GET A 160* T-STAT. It is too cold for the 4.0L. The motor is designed to run hot and this t-stat is too cold for it. I put one in by mistake and got miserable gas mileage but as soon as I got the 180* my mileage improved by 7mpg.

AARON

If you haven't bought the radiator yet, try an aluminum one from http://www.alumrad.com/dblpass.html. They're about $150. Also, don't waste extra $ on a high flow water pump, like a flowkooler. I installed one last year and it didn't change anything in the cooling system.

I just got a GDI three pass radiator and I love it. But what I wanted to know is, any of you guys run Water Wetter or nything like that?
I heard it helps a lot, but if the jeep is designed to run hot then wouldnt running that stuff be counterproductive. Wouldnt it??

I'm running 180 and a 3 core. Helps keep things cool in the middle of florida summers running in the sand. I like a cooler running engine anyway.

The problems from running a thermostat that opens too low are due to the electronics on the XJ. In weather cool enough that the engine stays down at the 160* thermostat opening level, the electronics think the engine is still warming up and feed it a richer mixture. This results in poor performance and mileage. I run a 180* Robert Shaw thermostat, a GDI radiator, and a Flowcooler. It all works very well together in both the coldest weather and the hottest. It really helps to power-flush your entire cooling system once in a while.

Thanks for all the info I am changing the radiator CSF, all the hoses, t-stat 195 from the dealer, water pump, and the serp. belt. It's running fine the only thing is on the driver side of the radiator is a small leak. The side of the frame is damp with anti-freez. Again thanks for all your input.

JOe

Back