• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears!!!

XTrmXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I need to regear.... I have a 98 cherokee rolling 35inch tires, auto tranny and an 8.25 rearend.. I would like to hear from people rolling the same equipment with aftermarket gears... I cant decide what to go with , 4.56 or 4.88.... Im looking for the best power curve and best fuel milage, I do a lot of highway running, and I would like to beable to pull my trailer with my fourwheeler and dirtbike with out constant downshifting.... So please give me input, this is also my daily driver, so I emphesize best fuel milage..

With your 8.25 rear axle, the tallest gearing you can get is 4.56. Looks like your decision is made for you unless you want to replace the rear axle...

Ivan

Accualy I found some 4.88 the other day for that axel..

Let me get back with you on that I will have to find it again, my friend showed it to me on the internet, (and yes I took another look to make sure that its for the 8.25) I will ask him what the address was again....

theres no way, have you ever seen the top of a 456 ring gear? Goodluck with 488s! :rolleyes:

not possible. nobody makes em or else everyone would have em.

GM 8.25 is a reverse rotation front axle in Yukons... pain in the butt to setup...

Can you get 4.88's for a ford 8.8? I was wondering the same thing about gearing for 35's. I have a 8.25 also but I'm looking at an 8.8 for the disks. If I could get 4.88's for it that would be another plus.

yes I can get ford.4.88

Alright I found the website again and called because it said 8.25.. After talking to the sales rep he corrected himself and told me that it was for the GM 8.25 and that there is a glitch in the system that classified it under the Jeep axels... So it looks like I will be getting the 4.56s... Also for those of you that have these gears what kind of fuel milage do you get? and is it good power?

Keep in mind I do alot of highway milage 20miles one way to work and Im always doing road trips whenever I get board, or just goofing off...

Back