• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Go Jeep at it again....cowl induction hood

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Beautiful work once again from our Australian XJ'er.
Bonnet%20030.jpg

Bonnet%20029.jpg
Bonnet%20034.jpg
Bonnet%20043.jpg

OK, so I'm a dumbass and reposted...

GI-John said:
OK, so I'm a dumbass and reposted...
Just giving you a hard time.

It is very cool mod though. I am reluctant to do the hood vent thang due to now and such here. Yeah, not much will get in during driving, but what about overnite when it snows/rains or during the *rainy* season.

Fergie

looks awesome! quick question though. isn't the area at the window at higher pressure? that's is why i thought it was called cowl "induction". was wondering if it will help with cooling though i suppose at the 'speeds' we normaly operate at, it will be more of a heat vent than a cool air input. and at hwy speeds it would help... hmm guess i answered my own question!

I have a similar setup and it works GREAT. At low speeds the hot air flows out of the scoop while at on-road speed the air flows into the scoop. My underhood temps dropped over 70 degrees F. The underhood temp now stays about twenty deg warmer than the outside air in hot weather, not bad.TC

TC said:
I have a similar setup and it works GREAT. At low speeds the hot air flows out of the scoop while at on-road speed the air flows into the scoop. My underhood temps dropped over 70 degrees F. The underhood temp now stays about twenty deg warmer than the outside air in hot weather, not bad.TC

Good info in the temp drop. Have you a picture of your setup?

mikeyl said:
looks awesome! quick question though. isn't the area at the window at higher pressure? that's is why i thought it was called cowl "induction". was wondering if it will help with cooling though i suppose at the 'speeds' we normaly operate at, it will be more of a heat vent than a cool air input. and at hwy speeds it would help... hmm guess i answered my own question!
I have a full write up at http://go.jeep-xj.info that will answer all questions.

BTW, another hood being sold at the moment that I bought off on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33646&item=2462653421

Sorry Marcus, no way to post pics. I used a cowl scoop that looks similar to yours and attached it to my hood (we Yanks don't wear bonets :) ) with button head rivets instead of 'glassing it on. It made for a clean installation after painting. I've driven it in severe downpours and heavy snow with no problems. One difference between ours is that I made a 1/2" high "Dam" that attaches to the hood on the floor of the scoop opening instead of a full grille and it does it's job of keeping water out. Your metal grille/magnet sounds like an effective and inexpensive solution. A cable or electricly operated door ala the early Muscle car's would be neat if ya wanted to spend the time. Great site, thanks for sharing your ideas. TC

TC said:
Sorry Marcus, no way to post pics. I used a cowl scoop that looks similar to yours and attached it to my hood (we Yanks don't wear bonets :) ) with button head rivets instead of 'glassing it on. It made for a clean installation after painting. I've driven it in severe downpours and heavy snow with no problems. One difference between ours is that I made a 1/2" high "Dam" that attaches to the hood on the floor of the scoop opening instead of a full grille and it does it's job of keeping water out. Your metal grille/magnet sounds like an effective and inexpensive solution. A cable or electricly operated door ala the early Muscle car's would be neat if ya wanted to spend the time. Great site, thanks for sharing your ideas. TC
Thanks TC for your reply. I just happy to hear the temperature difference as it will give me and others and idea of what to expect. You can email the pictures to me if you like and I can host them on my write up!

[email protected]

No digi-camera, no scanner either, I'm just a stone-age jeeper :) ,plus the fact that your's is the best looking example I've seen. My reasons for the scoop were twofold. First to provive cooler air to the open element air filter. Second to extract the hot air from under the hood for better engine cooling, especially during crawling. Both were achieved. TC

TC said:
No digi-camera, no scanner either, I'm just a stone-age jeeper :) ,plus the fact that your's is the best looking example I've seen. My reasons for the scoop were twofold. First to provive cooler air to the open element air filter. Second to extract the hot air from under the hood for better engine cooling, especially during crawling. Both were achieved. TC
Thats good to hear. Where abouts did you get your scoop from? Which model did you use?

Cheers

Back