• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Lift?

Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I know it's a bad question :anon: . But which 3 to 4 inch lift do y'all recommend for my '92 stocker :confused: . I do want to change out the rear springs not just add a leaf. Hopefully I can get a nice little lift without the death wobble thing going on :nono: . Thanks for the help

Warthog said:
i like rusty's stuff but his rear springs suck ass
stay away from rockkrawler!

Roger that. Caveat Emptor to the above.......

R.E.

Rubicon Express, but if this is your first lift, stay at 3" for a while...

as your experience and knowledge grow, you can always go to 4.5" or more.

Expect the unexpected. Each Jeep is different and responds to lifting in its own way.

Some Jeeps have no problems.

Others will get vibes in the driveshafts.

And worst case (IMO) is that you will get the dreaded death wobble and have to replace several front end suspension parts to get it right.

HTH

John

GI-John said:
Rubicon Express, but if this is your first lift, stay at 3" for a while...

as your experience and knowledge grow, you can always go to 4.5" or more.

I would say go the 4.5" now instead of the 3' if you know you want to go it in the future. Inchitis will come. Saving money for a locker or regearing is very very helpful. I've said it before and I'll say it again, make a list in Excel or Word with everything you want or think you want to get. Then as you RESEARCH your desired parts, delete the ones that suck or feel good that you made a good choice. GO RUBICON EXPRESS. Many (but not all) complain that Rusty's and Skyjacker sag. If you go the RE6130, search for a while, you will find a good price. I got mine for $725 after searching for a month. Also don't think you can install a lift for a grand or so; it won't happen. Take into account you need the lift, shocks, tires, and possibly shims, driveshaft, and an SYE. PB Blast the hell out of your '92. Got any skids?

GI-John said it nicely... "Each Jeep is different."

Come to think of it, do you know what size tires you are looking to run? That will play a huge roll in your lift decision. 31s on the 4.5 will give you more flex room. 33s look nice and will get you over some nice rocks.

OK - looks like it's going to be a Rubicon Express. Probably a standard 3 inch lift. If I just do a 3 inch will I need to do any other upgrades or replacements (other than tires - probably 31's). What I'd like to do is lift, tires, rocker guards and skid plates. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks :D

You may need a SYE or such to stop driveline vibes but lift first and see if you have any some people do some do not, as was stated eariler all Jeeps are different. Your plan sounds good to me.

Jeep said:
OK - looks like it's going to be a Rubicon Express. Probably a standard 3 inch lift. If I just do a 3 inch will I need to do any other upgrades or replacements (other than tires - probably 31's). What I'd like to do is lift, tires, rocker guards and skid plates. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks :D

I am hoping you are going to go with the RE6030, which is a 3.5" lift. To go with larger tires other than 31s, you are either go to cut a lot, rub a lot or need to buy new parts. That is why I recommended the RE6130 4.5" lift. Everything sounds good with tires, rockers and skids (gas tank, engine). You might need shims and an SYE. You should SEARCH the forums; many of your questions are in here.

Well I just picked up a Rubicon 3.5" Lift, I also have 4 Skyjacker Hydro shocks, and I will be picking up a set of 31" TruXus or BFG M/T Tires on Rockcrawler Wheels.....I know alot of XJ owners that are going this route and they are happy with it, all and all its less than $2000 Canadian including the wheels and tires....not bad for now, once I get my feet wet in the off roading world I will go up to a 6" and juice it from there......

GQ

Jeep said:

Seems to me you're approaching this a bit backwards ... or at least the opposite of the way most people approach it. Most folks seem to settle on a tire size they feel they need to run, and then select the lift necessary to work with the tires. You don't want to throw on a lot more lift than necessary for the tires you'll run, because lower center of gravity is your friend in off-camber situations. The "inchitis" argument sounds persuasive, but the fact is an XJ on 31s and a 3" lift will probably go 90% to 95% of the places an XJ on 32s or 33s with a 4.5" lift will go.

Just one more testimonial for RE. I have the RE 3.5 in super flex fit with rear leaf packs installed on my 99. When I ordered the kit I Included the Track bar, ARB Old Man Emu long travel shocks, Transfer case drop(save your money and make your own or do it right and SYE and drive shaft) I also had them ditch the quick disconnects because of there bad reputaion for wearing out noisy etc. I had them include the fixed sway bar links because I do not off road daily and four nuts with a gear wrench and there off any way. Go with the JKS for more convience.

I installed the kit aligned the front end a year ago and have loved it ever since. Good flex, ride is stiffer, (If you want a nicer ride with less performance go with a regular shock not a nitrogen gas pressurised) don't get me wrong the Old Man Emu is a great shock. The only difference between the 3.5 in kit with springs and the 4.5 in kit is that you get 4.5 " front springs and in the rear you get a 1.25" lift rear greasable shackle with the 3.5" spring pack. You then also get the track bar, front brake line extensions, and I think they include the transfer case drop all for that one price without having to add anything. The kit may also come with adjustable upper control arms. In the picture of the kit they show the adjustable arms but n the parts kit it lists the part # for the fixed contol arms.

With the 3.5 kit if I want to upgrade I can now add a 1 to 2 in spacer up front and the greasable 1.25 in shackle in the rear. If you want to save money buy the 4.5 " kit right away because it will come with the extras that the 3.5" kit does not track bar etc. If not just do it they way I am. Just remember that once you go up you will always want to go higher.

Just a note that if you are going to change your rims go with 15x8 rims instead of 15x7. I bought 15x7 rims with 3.75" back spacing. It looks great and the tires hold a better bead at low tire pressure but now when I want to upgrade to 32.11.5x15 tires I will have to buy wider rims.

BDS all the way and get some longer lower control arms either rustys or bds . quality and a killer warrentyis what their about . i got around 4" at all corners and after i trimed. im running 32's , and she looks badass

Back