• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A ? for those who run Bilsteins 5100 and re 5.5

xjluvr

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered Be5 6249-h5, the specs are travel:11.94 , Ext lenght:29.7 , colapsed lenght 17.9.
shocks001.jpg

These are to long!!! My fault I know.

Anybody run the same type of shock with the same or close to the same lift?
If so, what lengths did you use?

THanks for any input in advance!

I run those on my ZJ , but the rear mounts on a ZJ are a bit different, and I am running about 1/2" more lift.

Mad droop, you might want to try the BE5-6248, those are next step down and are about 27" extended

That travel range sounds about right. I now with my 5" lift I have 9.5" travel 5100's and they are too short atleast for the front. Collapsed mine are just about right though.

Front: 25"-15.5"
Rear: 24"-14.5"

I think the collapsed height is just right for front and rear but I think thye could extend a bit more.

What valving did you get? I ended up getting the shocks they have for a 4.5" lifted XJ, that were tuned for the XJ. I was worried about the preset valved shocks.

those are the right shocks for that lift. HMmm.. interesting.

THey would work, but....... the body of the shock is what is to long. If I put these on they would not compress enough. I would have to get some mad long bump stop to keep from exploding the shock @ 80 bucks a piece I dont want to do that!!

Last edited:
Weasel said:
Yeah I understand what you are saying. Can you get a shorter body same travel as what you have?
I am lookin into it, not sure if it will be the same travel, maybe close.

Mad maXJ: Already thought of it!

been there, leaves you with about 3.5" stuff right? I have no idea how anyone has made this work with the necessary upper shock mount conversion needed on the XJ. I went with RE (edelbrocks) with the stud mount up top and a jks BPE on my dana 30 and will get about 6" stuff and droop. They are on the way right now. Alternatively, I did work out that if you lifted 2 more inches the 5100's 12 inch travel with eye conversion and bpe would be perfect. You would end up with about 23" eye to eye. For me 6" is plenty of lift for short arms and 33 or 35's. Good luck!
P

xxxj-va said:
been there, leaves you with about 3.5" stuff right? I have no idea how anyone has made this work with the necessary upper shock mount conversion needed on the XJ. I went with RE (edelbrocks) with the stud mount up top and a jks BPE on my dana 30 and will get about 6" stuff and droop. They are on the way right now. Alternatively, I did work out that if you lifted 2 more inches the 5100's 12 inch travel with eye conversion and bpe would be perfect. You would end up with about 23" eye to eye. For me 6" is plenty of lift for short arms and 33 or 35's. Good luck!
P
I thought about two more inches as well, still have a set of spacers layin around, but decided against it also.
The place I ordered the shocks from took them back, super nice about it also,I am doin more research into it, my skycrapper hydros still work for now.

xjluvr said:
I ordered Be5 6249-h5, the specs are travel:11.94 , Ext lenght:29.7 , colapsed lenght 17.9.
shocks001.jpg

These are to long!!! My fault I know.

Anybody run the same type of shock with the same or close to the same lift?
If so, what lengths did you use?

THanks for any input in advance!

http://www.xjworld.4wdriver.com/otherstuff.htm

Down towards the bottom.

i'm running some autozone longtravels that are 16.5" comp and 28.5 ext. i made some angle iron BPE's that raise the lower mount about 1.5". with RE 5.5 coils and 35's i can stuff them into the fenders before the shocks bottom out. i was worried they would be too long with the BPE's but they work fine.

matthew

242380_137_full.jpg

For the 5.5" lift with stud eliminators front you should be fine with 10" travel bilsteins. I'm at 11" front now and the 14" travel are still too long. Get the 10" travel bilsteins with the stud eliminator. :D

I have the 5100's with a 6 inch lift, and I also thought they were long as all hell. But I got them from a rock crawler place so I guess that is what they are for. (I am a desert guy myself) But I got mine before they went to the blingus chrome. I will try to get the model number later tonight.

Back