• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chopping the rear Quarters

Matt99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to chop the bottom of my quarters off. I want to cut from the red line down. Are there any supports under there or can I just cut it? I just want to know what i am getting myself into before I do it.
121113518hKfGnq_ph.jpg

I dissagree with Chuck, what I did was to cut about 2" from the bottom then fold both the inner and outter panel inward (together and over lap them) then I used some self tappers to screw the two together, much stronger than just cutting, you could also weld the two together.

Fore Wheeler said:
I dissagree with Chuck, what I did was to cut about 2" from the bottom then fold both the inner and outter panel inward (together and over lap them) then I used some self tappers to screw the two together, much stronger than just cutting, you could also weld the two together.

I guess you didn't check out my pictures. :rolleyes: I agree with you FW, if you don't want to add any metal like I did. But I know I can Highlift off mine.

On a side note, I noticed after a while I got two wrinkles. One on each side under the rear window. I believe they are from the unibody flexing and the rear QTR chop.

ChuckD said:
On a side note, I noticed after a while I got two wrinkles. One on each side under the rear window. I believe they are from the unibody flexing and the rear QTR chop.

did you hit your quarter panels before you chopped them? Cause I have a wrinkle on one side from nailing the quarter panel on a rock.

There are no supports just the gas fill pipe to concern yourself with. On mine i just cut vertically down all four corners, folded it like a box top and welded each flap to the body and each other one at a time as I went.

Just did mine two weeks ago.... Last 6 or so pics

http://community.webshots.com/album/118904863qguXXK

I cut at the line and no supports were damaged and I reinforced it with 14 guage diamond plate steel. All is good with mine now.

Shannon

Haven't uploaded pics of the bottom yet but I boxed the bottom with the diamond plate too.

ChuckD said:

I guess I did misunderstand, I thought you left the panel flappin in the wind.

Maybe your wrinkles came from hi-liftin' off your quarter. :dunno:

Interesting. I am not wanting to cut as high as everyone else has. I want to cut it at the first crease on the bottom. I was thinking about just folding it in but I don't think that it would be enough for it to touch in the middle. Do you think I will need to weld a piece of sheetmetal to the bottom of it when I am done?

Matt99XJ said:
Interesting. I am not wanting to cut as high as everyone else has. I want to cut it at the first crease on the bottom. I was thinking about just folding it in but I don't think that it would be enough for it to touch in the middle. Do you think I will need to weld a piece of sheetmetal to the bottom of it when I am done?

You will need to do something with the Passenger side for sure because you will be opening a huge hole in the back of the heep. If you took out your inside rear quarter panel inside you will be able to see what I mean.

Matt99XJ said:

I think it would be a good idea to seal it up. I remember hearing a lot of air before I welded mine up. Also it would be good to keep out the water and what not.

ChuckD said:
I think it would be a good idea to seal it up. I remember hearing a lot of air before I welded mine up. Also it would be good to keep out the water and what not.

OH YEAH... I drove without it sealed up for a week and with swampers, it was like driving with the road noise being played by a THX home theater surround sound system.

Matt99XJ said:

I did like fore wheeler is describing, making my cut a couple inches from the very bottom (which is what I think you're talking about with the "first crease"). I then cut slits up the back and up the piece facing the tire, cutting up to the big cut line in chuck's first pic. This makes 4 flaps, just fold them in to make your box, and weld them up or use some screws (mine are welded). I didnt have to add any sheetmetal to mine. Turned out really well.

Pat

Pat said:
I did like fore wheeler is describing, making my cut a couple inches from the very bottom (which is what I think you're talking about with the "first crease"). I then cut slits up the back and up the piece facing the tire, cutting up to the big cut line in chuck's first pic. This makes 4 flaps, just fold them in to make your box, and weld them up or use some screws (mine are welded). I didnt have to add any sheetmetal to mine. Turned out really well.

Pat
Got any pics? You can e-mail them to me at [email protected]

Thats alright. I am going to start cutting on it this weekend. Hopefully it will work out. I will post pics once I am done.

Back