• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Tranny Swap

pyagid2

NAXJA Forum User
I think this is one of my first posts here. I have been lurking for a while B/c Friends have had XJ's and my bro has an XJ. I have always had CJ's and YJ's. But i just recently Aquired an 88 XJ for a good deal.

My xj has the BA 10/5 in it currently. According to www.jeeptech.com

The BA 10/5 is a light duty five speed transmission. It looks similar to the AX-15, but smaller and it is manufactured by Peugeot in France. The input shaft is 1 1/8" 10 spline and the output shaft can be 21 spline or 23 spline.

My question is: Is there a way to determine what output shaft I have with out pulling the T-case off. I have and extra AX-15 sitting at home and figure I might as well swap that in if My t-case will bolt up to it.

Also according to Jeep Tech again

If you own a 21 spline NP231 and you want to swap in a 23 spline transmission, you can either look for a cheap 23 spline NP231 at the junk yard or go to your local Jeep Parts Dealer and order up a new input shaft part #5300-6085. This is the part you need to convert your NP231 to 23 spline input

How difficult would this be to do as well?

Paul

pyagid2 said:
I think this is one of my first posts here. I have been lurking for a while B/c Friends have had XJ's and my bro has an XJ. I have always had CJ's and YJ's. But i just recently Aquired an 88 XJ for a good deal.

My xj has the BA 10/5 in it currently. According to www.jeeptech.com

My question is: Is there a way to determine what output shaft I have with out pulling the T-case off. I have and extra AX-15 sitting at home and figure I might as well swap that in if My t-case will bolt up to it.

Also according to Jeep Tech again

How difficult would this be to do as well?

Paul
As an 88 XJ owner i can say for sure that you have a 21 spline output shaft and so yout TC also is a 21 spline input. Now depending on the year of the AX-15 you have it could also have a 21 or a 23 spline. The best and the cehapest way that i and many others have found is to get a 23 spline input TC from a junkyard as the 23 spline input costs about 152 from the dealer, let me know if you have any more questions.

ravi

I swapped my peugot with a NV3550 and had to change out the gear in the TC with one that had a 23 spline on it. Once you have the gear, it's not hard to put it in. Just pull the case apart and swap the gears out. Make sure you do a good job putting in new gasket though - mine leaks now and I have to do it again. You might want to check the prices at Advance Adapters too. I know they sell those gears.

rav said:
. Now depending on the year of the AX-15 you have it could also have a 21 or a 23 spline.
ravi

The AX-15 is out of an 87 or 88 MJ that had a 4.0 and Dana 44 rear. ANd i ended up using the Transfer case on a 1990 YJ AX-15. I am thinking it is a 23 spline. This is really just my DD so I am dont really need the AX-15 but figured i would swap it in if it is easy enough and I had all the parts already. I guess if i come across a 23 T-case I will do the swap

Thanks For your help
Paul

AX-15s were only in MJs/XJs from mid year 89 and up, not before and lasted till the end for the MJ, and till the end in the XJ(SEs reportedly got AX-15s, others the NV3550s).

Teron

Back