• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 LP to HP Swap - which housing?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm getting all the parts together to do the housing swap but am still getting conflicting reports of which HP housing is "bolt-in" into the 2000-2001 XJs when I search the various Forums (NAXJA and other). Maybe someone here can clarify this for me?

Can I use any year non-disconnect HP housing for my swap? Are the axle housings themselves all IDENTICAL throughout the years?

What year knuckles/brakes are the same? Are 1991-2001 all the same knuckles and ball joints? Or is it 1992? Or was there yet another change in 1997?

I have a line on a 1989 non-disco axle (whole truck actually). Will this axle housing work? Are the knuckles and brakes different from my MY01?

In case it makes a difference, my plan is to "bench build" a HP D30 with ARB, 4.10 gears (for 32s) and Warn FF 5x5.5" kit and swap it in at the same time I do the lift. Does the knuckle difference matter with the new Warn FF kit and the new rotors required?

Sorry for all the Q's - just trying to nail this down so I don't spend the money twice on the donor parts.

Thanks!

r@m

I can tell you this for a fact. I have a 2001 TJ LP D30 in my 93' XJ. I did not have to do any modifications what so ever. I'm now in the process of swapping in an 91' HP D30 non-disco in place of the 2001 TJ LPD30. So to answer your question, there is no major modification's invloled with this swap.

The only issue maybe the the length of the front Drive Shaft.

There is a difference in knuckles and rotors on the 90' and older D30's. The shafts are the same as long as you use the correct unit bearings and rotors.

Back