• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emmissions failure, need to pass! HELP!!

Hakan

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 V6, 2.8 BBL that is not passing emmissions. They keep coming back that the Hydrocarbons are too high (fuel mixture too high). I already tried to adjust the fuel mixture located on the front of the carb and it didn't seem to do too much. Already adjusted the idle and fast idle too. Granted, I am not a whiz with carburateurs but am willing to learn. The timing is perfect. She still surges a little bit when at a light or even at the testing facility.

I have replaced the filters, pcv valve, and gave her some love.

Are there any other parts or recommendations that anyone would have for a fix prior to me taking it to a shop? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Hak
:confused:

Failed Emisions

When you take the vehicle in for testing is the engine cold or hot?
What I have done in the past is add to the oil "Tuneup in a CAN" by Wynn. Run you car on the freeway for 45 minutes prior to testing. (Thus a hot engine). this helpped for my '88. I thought it would not pass.

GL

As I seem to remember on my S-10's 2.8L the mixture screw as on the side of the carb body and was sealed shut. Alot of people used to fail in NJ because they would have to wait in long lines at the inspection stations then get sniffed. The two times I failed I drove out on the interstate the next day for 30 min or so with a heavy high revving foot then took it back and passed. The sniffer line was usually short or non existant.

Try this trick

Back in my Buick days we would run the cars down the freeway 20 miles each way, then immediately return to the shop and change the oil and filter. Then test the car, the majority of time it would pass. I no longer work at a fcaility with smog test capability so I am at the mercy of testing stations. I do this with all my vehicles, usually the day before and then run down the freeway five miles or so and have it tested still hot. I'm sure my old CJ would not have passed without this trick.
Good luck,
Tom
NAXJA member 396

Back