• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mickey Thompson Baja Radial Mtx Tires

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Who has run Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX tires? How do you like them? How many miles did you get out of them? How did the sidewall hold up and how was the traction? If you know somebody that runs them chime in too. My rig is a DD but I take it out 2-3 times a month and run hard enough trails to blow sidewalls. The stuff I run is dry (AZ), mostly rock & dirt, a little mud and virtually no snow.
radial_mtx.gif

Last edited:
Anybody at all run these? I've only found 2 reviews on the web so far, both favorable, but I'd imageine more people are running these than that.

A friend of mine put a set in 285/75-16 on his Tundra after we lifted it. He was very happy with them. I was impressed at how quiet they were on the road compared to the OEM BFG junk that was on it from the factory. In fact, they are a hell of a lot nicer on road than any BFG ATs I've ever owned.
We are in the PacNorWest, so wet pavement traction is a big deal - they were excellent on that truck. They did pack up with mud quickly, but that is to be expected with an all terrain tire. No rock crawlin' with the Tundra - sorry! Up here, we never see trucks running them, so the cool factor goes way up because of the gnarly sidewalls.
I am sure that you are aware it is a Cooper Tire, so probably not poorly constructed. The best deal I have ever seen on them is through desertrat.com - awesome prices and shipping!

I ran them in a 33" flavor on a full size blazer. They seemed to work real well offroad. I seen the guy I sold that blazer to 3 years later and they still had 50% tread. Oh yeah I tagged a curb hard enough to waste the rim and blow the bead ,drove home 2 block on the flat, (It was real cold and snowing)and did no damage to the tire!!
Led

I just bought a set (285/75R16's), they do have 2-ply sidewalls, and they look pretty sweet on my Jeep with ony 3.5" of lift :). I already cut out the front fenders a few months back so they fit perfect in the front. They're really tight in the back so the grinder will be coming out soon to make room. They ride VERY smooth and they're the toughtest-looking A/T tire I've seen thus far, large voids, etc.

nice street tires... I think the main complaint with them is the sidewall. they weren't meant to be offroad tires.

Very cool sidewalls.

I haven't read any complaints about the sidewall yet but I'll let you know if I blow one. How have the Cooper Discoverer ST's sidewalls held up? Aren't they 2-ply too? ;)

yes they are 2 ply but I will attest to the strength of the cooper ST's. They must have done something to help them out.. The reason I got them was reading some testing info on them that was done in Austrailia and Africa.. The testers said that they were as strong as the 3 ply bfg.

I am in Ark so its not like I am running them on the hammers, so really ruts and roots and maybe stumps are the only hazards. My opinion is that the ST's are the best aggressive AT available. Along with the new DC FC II. similare treads and since they are both built by Cooper. Having said that yes the MT's are also built by Cooper, however, the MTX was designed years before these two fairly new tires.

FWIW, my next set of tires will be 33x10.50 BFG MT's.

Back