• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK, someone please help me solve this mystery!

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Some of you with the Green group on Saturday already know the story, and have already taken a look at my XJ, so if you got anymore info than what I have posted, please feel free!

Anyways, on Saturday, after I had left my XJ sitting like this for about 10 minutes (engine off):
DSC00068.JPG

I started it up, and then took off up the hill. Well, about halfway up the hill, I noticed my XJ was smoking very bad (the guys behind me said they had to wait for the smoke to clear before following).

When I got to the top, I stopped the engine, and got out to look see. there were a few drips of oil on the drivers side control arms, and on the diff. I was unable to figure out where the oil had come from, some others looked as well, and I'm not quite sure if they figured it out either.

Anyways, after inspection, checking the oil and antifreeze levels (which were fine), I decided to start it up again and see what happened. This time, there was no more smoke....the exhaut did smell kinda funny for a while (sweet smell?), and there were no more leaking oil to be found. The engine was not overheating, and the oil pressure was good.

I decided to wheel it the rest of the day, but I kept an eye on the oil pressure, oil level and antifreeze level very closely. I had no more problems the rest of the day.....

Then on Sunday, I drove it back home to Bensenville (outside Chicago) with no more issues. Checked the oil and antifreeze levels when I got home, and they were both fine. No more drips of oil to be found anywhere.

What the hell happened for those few minutes???

Any ideas?

you might want to trace your diff and tranny vents.... I know that the diff vent goes up into the engine bay area, and so does the t-case but I don't know about tranny....

with your truck sitting like that (I'm assuming yours is the one tilted twoards the driver's side, if it's not, stop reading now) perhaps oil leaked out of your valve cover gasket and onto your manifold??? oil would have collected along the gasket...could happen, right? the smoke would have been oil burning off the manifold, and that would explain drips of oil on the driver's side diff and control arm...just my theory.

My 2wd will sometimes do that if tipped like that for a bit. Usually it means it's time to once again tighten down the valve cover bolts which refuse to stay tight.

sarge

Have you driven up any more hills since then?

Maybe with the incline, some oil seeped out the rear main seal?

Anything in the airbox under the filter? Blow-by and compression issues can cause the oil to come back up into the air filter box. When the #6 died on my last motor I had a quart of oil pop up into the airbox when I gunned it on the highway.

did you think to get under there and double check all the oilpan bolts?? i know we tightened them up in Moab but its been 5 months and maybe the gasket has shrunk and needs a lil more snugging (is that a word?) maybe the off-camber let the oil seep past the gasket that isnt normally below the oil level?? if it isnt still doing it its a good sign anyways.. but figuring out what it was that one time could make you crazy...
mike

IntrepidXJ said:
Some of you with the Green group on Saturday already know the story, and have already taken a look at my XJ, so if you got anymore info than what I have posted, please feel free!

Anyways, on Saturday, after I had left my XJ sitting like this for about 10 minutes (engine off):
DSC00068.JPG

I started it up, and then took off up the hill. Well, about halfway up the hill, I noticed my XJ was smoking very bad (the guys behind me said they had to wait for the smoke to clear before following).

When I got to the top, I stopped the engine, and got out to look see. there were a few drips of oil on the drivers side control arms, and on the diff. I was unable to figure out where the oil had come from, some others looked as well, and I'm not quite sure if they figured it out either.

Anyways, after inspection, checking the oil and antifreeze levels (which were fine), I decided to start it up again and see what happened. This time, there was no more smoke....the exhaut did smell kinda funny for a while (sweet smell?), and there were no more leaking oil to be found. The engine was not overheating, and the oil pressure was good.

I decided to wheel it the rest of the day, but I kept an eye on the oil pressure, oil level and antifreeze level very closely. I had no more problems the rest of the day.....

Then on Sunday, I drove it back home to Bensenville (outside Chicago) with no more issues. Checked the oil and antifreeze levels when I got home, and they were both fine. No more drips of oil to be found anywhere.

What the hell happened for those few minutes???

Any ideas?

THE OIL LAYING ON THE HEAD SEEPED OVRE INTO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD & WHEN YOU STARTED IT IT BURNT THE OIL. BELIEVE IT OR NOT THIS HAPPENED TO ME WHEN I TIPPED THE LAWNMOWER OVER ON IT'S SIDE TO CHECK THE BLADE SMOKED THE NEIGHBORHOOD FOR 10 MNIS. DALE
BADGE714 [email protected]

Back