• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beez - One Ton, how much can I cut...

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
...and not worry about my Jeep folding in half??

the doors are off, and I started to cut the roof and the A, B, C and D pilars and got to thinking 'humm, I really don't want to have this thing fold in half'.

I don't think if the roof is gone it'll hurt it until I get the cage in but I remember Sean doing his in stages.

Lemme know, the Sawzall is warmed up and rearin to go.

Not gonna comment on that (no experience), but I think it would be cool to have a full soft top on one of these chopped rigs. Build a full 8 point cage and a custom top that could roll up on the sides, like a scrambler full soft top or military vehicle. Not sure if you are interested in that at all in a trail only rig, but just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

Another idea, there was a guy on pirate I think with a big red 2-door that had welded a TJ windshield frame onto his xj, so he could fold it down...looked pretty slick.

anyway, just some ideas, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Pat

Pat said:
Not gonna comment on that (no experience), but I think it would be cool to have a full soft top on one of these chopped rigs. Build a full 8 point cage and a custom top that could roll up on the sides, like a scrambler full soft top or military vehicle. Not sure if you are interested in that at all in a trail only rig, but just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

Pat

Didn't you see Rev's rig? he has a soft top on his choped XJ.

I am not Beezil (thanks God)
I am not OneTon (but i am pushing 265)
and i was not asked to comment (but just try to shut me up)

The roof is the structure....cut it and the structure is gone. Fact is...you can do almost anything as long as you do not drive it when its cut. You can rool it around with no roof, but get some structure in there before any road or trail time.

Rev

HTH

It's not gonna fold in half, just don't drive it. Hinky drove his somewhere, but he didn't do a full chop either.

OneTonXJ said:
It's not gonna fold in half, just don't drive it. Hinky drove his somewhere, but he didn't do a full chop either.

Good, cuz...

815chopdayone-med.jpg

When I take it to get the cage done, I should be okay with it on a trailer if I take it easy, shouldn't I?

I don't see how it could be damaged on the trailer. There isn't really any weight in the middle to hurt it.

Fore Wheeler said:
When I take it to get the cage done, I should be okay with it on a trailer if I take it easy, shouldn't I?

Slow on...slow off....no bumps when loading or unloading, you should be fine.

I think it looks better now than it did before the roll......at least the beadlocks still have air in them.

Rev

dan...

if its not too late, and you have the means, would you mind keeping a running tab on the amount of weight that is coming off of this thang?

I wish i woulda done that, I'd love to know how much my rig weighs.

Beezil said:
dan...

if its not too late, and you have the means, would you mind keeping a running tab on the amount of weight that is coming off of this thang?

weigh it :smoker:

MaXJohnson said:
weigh it :smoker:

smartass....... :looser:

I meant before-after...........

and an individual weight on each piece.....

I live in the city, so its not like I can drive down the street to my neighborhood certified truck scale like the rest of you pig farmers.

:farmer:

Beezil said:
dan...

I'll see what I can do, the only means is the bathroom scale, I'll see what I can do. The roof really didn't weigh that much, I took off more weight by removing the doors, the roof came off in two pieces, Ang and I lifted it w/o any problems.

Beezil said:

I live in the city, so its not like I can drive down the street to my neighborhood certified truck scale like the rest of you pig farmers.

Since you live in the city, go to your local ricer/import shop that deals with coil over race suspensions and has corner weight scales. A GOOD shop should have scales and will have no problems weighing your space ship looking XJ:D

AARON

Beezil said:

Ohh...no truck scales in Chicago....

Managed by the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA), Chicago's McCormick Place is North America's premier convention facility and attracts more than four million trade and public show visitors annually. located on our premises, at 31st Street and Lake Shore Drive, our full-service truck marshaling yard can accommodate up to 500 trucks. Our marshaling yard is equipped with a certified truck scale, security cameras, and 24-hour staff. Freight company offices are located at the facility.

and...

http://www.recyclingservices.com/pages/directions.html
http://www.alliedmetalcompany.com/facilities.htm

Most any place that sells BULK truckable goods will have a scale, $10 to the operater at a slow time is usally enough to get wieghed. I understand that yours not being streetable will impare your ability to wiegh it..but the places are out there.

Rev

Back