• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil fliter adapter leak...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
91 4.0. It would apear that this is my primary oil leak. how long to fix, and how many gaskets or seals are there? NAPA ain't got'em...

Go to the jeep dealer and get the kit, has 3 or 5 O rings in there, $17 rings a bell. The adapter could be a real PIA to get off, some are easy some can be a nitemare.

Just go to your local jeep dealer and ask the parts guy for O ring kit for the oil filter adaptor. It will either be a package with 3 O rings in it or he will pull them out of drawers. I think I paid around $10 for the set. The O rings are different if you have the Renix 4.0 or the HO 4.0 engine, make sure to tell them the model year of your XJ.

If you had it apart then you could go buy O rings out of open stock. There is an article on www.madxj.com which will give you nice pictures on what to do. It listed in the technical section and the article name is "Oil filter conversions". You may also want to get a new center colt if you have the torx on your bolt or make sure the dealer has one in stock in case you strip out the torx.

Last edited:
Ditto Jeep dealer probably has a set in his pocket. I paid $3 and change. took about 1/2 hr and alot of rags as it is a mess of a job.

RichP said:
Go to the jeep dealer and get the kit, has 3 or 5 O rings in there, $17 rings a bell. The adapter could be a real PIA to get off, some are easy some can be a nitemare.[/QUOT

Is there a diff between an HO and non? Told the guy 91 at the dealer, and he went and got them... Hate to take it apart and find out there wrong...

From memory here but there are two different adapters, one is metric the other SAE and the two also face different directions if i'm not mistaken. You can upgrade to the newer one from the metric one, that was covered here a while ago but it did not relate to my 98 at all so other than noting it paid no futher attention to it. Eagle is the one with the broad spread of years of jeeps here.

SCOTT FISCHER said:
Is there a diff between an HO and non? Told the guy 91 at the dealer, and he went and got them... Hate to take it apart and find out there wrong...
I think you have to be careful since the 91s may contain 'mixed' parts. Mine does!
Dealer gave me the wrong set when I bought mine. Both kits have 3 o-rings, the only difference is the middle o-ring.

I'm not sure......but, I think if you have the hex-head bolt then you need the old p/n o-ring set. Allen bolt uses the newer p/n...the one listed on madxj.com.

If you want to play it safe...buy the kit for new one, but also buy just the middle o-ring for the older models.

Last edited:
9.85 for the set...replaced yesterday...
be very CAREFUL when you unscrew the filter housing...there is a spring steel pin that lines up the assembly, and trust me if you spin the whole assembly around when you take out the bolt, it will break off in the block, and its a royal PITA to get it out. I destroyed a set of easy outs trying...just something to keep in mind. the whole job should only take about ten min...1 o-ring in the center of the bolt, one on either side of the assembly

Back