• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing spider gears in D30

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, last week I was in the boneyard with Sequoia and as we were pulling shafts out for him, we pulled the spider gears (don't even ask.. it's a long story). In any case, pulling the pin was a major PITA!!! is there an easy way to do it?? In the next month or two, I'm hoping to get a lunchbox locker for the D30 and I want to know what problems should I expect with the install...

Difficult in what regard?

I've found it's best to pull the carrier before trying to knock out the roll pin holding the carrier crosspin in place. You might be able to do it just undoing the left bearing cap but I'm not sure on the amount of clearance.

Is this what you're talking about?

John90XJ said:
Difficult in what regard?

I've found it's best to pull the carrier before trying to knock out the roll pin holding the carrier crosspin in place. You might be able to do it just undoing the left bearing cap but I'm not sure on the amount of clearance.

Is this what you're talking about?

yeah, the pin was really tight against the ring gear.....

Which pin? The one holding the carrier crosspin in place or the carrier crosspin itself?

You may need to pull the ring gear off due to clearance problems with the 4.10's.

Last edited:
John90XJ said:
Which pin? The one holding the carrier crosspin in place or the carrier crosspin itself?

The carrier cross pin (that's the one that goes through two of the spiders opposite each other)

Last edited:
See my edit above.

I just did this on mine but I did a LockRight at the same time and took the ring gear off. You may need to do that and/or take a grinder to the ring gear teeth and clearance one side for future ease of use.

John90XJ said:
See my edit above.

I just did this on mine but I did a LockRight at the same time and took the ring gear off. You may need to do that and/or take a grinder to the ring gear teeth and clearance one side for future ease of use.

So theoretically it shouldn't really be too bad if I shaved a little bit of one of the teeth on the ring gear to pull the cross pin out?

kirby said:
I'd just pop the ring gear off it's not too hard and you don't have to shave anything.
this might sound stupid.. but do I have to take the carrier to pop the ring gear off?? or can I loosen it to the point that I can somewhat angle it??

I would say that it's easier to just take it out, because the pinion is going to be holding the ring gear on tight. You have to undo 4 bolts on the carrier and take the axle shafts out to take out the carrier, and then just take an air gun to take off the bolts. If you don't have an impact wrench then loosen the ring gears bolts before you take it out it will save you a lot of cussing. When you take it out keep the right parts on the right side and the left on the left and I would put the ring gear back on the same way it was taken off. Better said put each bolt back into the same hole on the ring gear just to make sure you don't mess with the settings. Also make sure you put locktight on the bolts before you put them back in. You will probably have to tap the ring gear with a hammer to loosen it from the carrier. Tork them to 55 lbs. I seriously wouldn't shave it. It should take a couple of hours since it's your first one. Dont sweat doing it though it's not that hard. Any problems just ask. Anybody that has taken apart a front end should know what's involved.

:gag: Why the @#$% would you grind off the teeth? How would you get ALL the crap out of the case after you ground on the teeth. Shade tree or lazy mechanic idea, no doubt!! (n) Just remove caps and pull the carrier out to remove ring gear. :rolleyes:

willysnut said:
:gag: Why the @#$% would you grind off the teeth? How would you get ALL the crap out of the case after you ground on the teeth. Shade tree or lazy mechanic idea, no doubt!! (n) Just remove caps and pull the carrier out to remove ring gear. :rolleyes:

That's why I'm asking :)
Well, I know that you do that on the rear axle and someone mentioned doing it on the front axle.... and I'm refering to grinding just a bit of one of the teeth to get enough space to pull the pin out...

willysnut said:

Hey numbnuts...you grind the appropriate spot on the ring gear after the carrier is out of the rig. It's for future ease of use so you don't have to pull the carrier to pull the crosspin. The next time he does this he might not have a vise or the other shop tools to make this job easy. It would be nice to have the option of doing it in the vehicle.

Back