• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welded 8.25?

dwhiddon

NAXJA Forum User
Will a 29 spline 8.25 survive being spooled? Does anyone make a spool for 8.25? I couldn't find one. What about welding the spider gears? Anyone done this? I'm running 32's, soon to be 35's. Thanks!

Don't weld the spider gears if you plan to ever drive it around a turn on the street. Not to mention if the weld breaks it will not only break it will take everything else with it. Just my 2 cents.

dwhiddon said:
Will a 29 spline 8.25 survive being spooled? Does anyone make a spool for 8.25? I couldn't find one. What about welding the spider gears? Anyone done this? I'm running 32's, soon to be 35's. Thanks!

You won't find a spool for the 8.25. It is a c-clip axle so there is no way to do it.

Also, I wouldn't weld it unless you plan on running it until the axle shaft breaks and then throwing it in the garbage. ;)

fatwreck said:
Also, I wouldn't weld it unless you plan on running it until the axle shaft breaks and then throwing it in the garbage. ;)

driving welded on the street isn't much of an issue, you get increased tire wear, and that funny chirping/squealing/people giving you wierd looks around corners and all, but other than that it aint so bad....and don't throw it away, recycle!

xjblaine said:
driving welded on the street isn't much of an issue, you get increased tire wear, and that funny chirping/squealing/people giving you wierd looks around corners and all, but other than that it aint so bad....and don't throw it away, recycle!

Yeah, I'm not anti-welded or spooled axle. In fact, I'm putting a spool in the 9" I'm building. I'm just saying that with a welded c-clip axle...there is no way to get the c-clip out to change the shaft if it breaks. Hence, the recyclable 8.25 when you're done. ;)

I'm planning to change the rear to a 8.8 for the disk brakes. otherwise I would go for the 44. Don't want to spend money for a locker on the 8.25 just to take it out later.

fatwreck said:
Yeah, I'm not anti-welded or spooled axle. In fact, I'm putting a spool in the 9" I'm building. I'm just saying that with a welded c-clip axle...there is no way to get the c-clip out to change the shaft if it breaks. Hence, the recyclable 8.25 when you're done. ;)

How do you figure? The gears get welded, not the shaft or the clip.
What am I missing?

fatwreck said:
You won't find a spool for the 8.25. It is a c-clip axle so there is no way to do it.

Dont they make spools for the Explorer 8.8? IIRC, that is a c-clip axle. Granted it's used in alot of applications, probably more then the 8.25, and thus why there's spools for it.

I dunno how you supposed to weld the spiders together, but we welded my Dana 35 (non c-clip, and NO, I don't plan on keeping it long, just wanna see what the spool idea is like) about a week ago. IF there was c-clips, you could still access them with the way it was welded. BUT, a 8.25 carrier might be really diffrent, so I don't I know if this will work.

Scott Mac. said:
How do you figure? The gears get welded, not the shaft or the clip.
What am I missing?

I guess it depends on how you weld it. I know that the shaft and the c-clips don't get welded. :wave1:

But I've seen some guys that box in the spider gears and then weld them....with this method there just wouldn't be a way to get the c-clips out.

Back