• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SpeakerS ??

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just a general question for all you gurus... My '93 XJ driver's door speaker has started 'crackling' with a garbled -distorted sound with a little muffled buzzing. Blown cone ? I have really respected these original factory speakers and have never abused them. My questions are:

1. What is the standard size? 4 x 10 ??

2. What would be the work involved to going to 6 x 9 ?? Worth it??

3. What brand would you prefer ??

4. Any tricks to doing the install so that they would be bulletproof ??
(like water-resistant)

THANKS... !!! :viking:

From what you discribe, sounds like is is blown. Not sure about the 93's, but the 90's came with paper cones and ripped/blew easy. The standard size (for pre 96) is 5 1/4 I think. The easiest way to heck is to run the year through crutchfield. I am running Infinity's all around and love em. BUT, your speakers are only as good as whats pushing them, so if you get great speakers and run a crap HU, you will most likely get crap sound. I plan on getting some MB Quarts eventually (they kill Infinity's when pushed by an amp).
The ONLY way to make water-proof speakers is to get marine speakers or raise them up. You can make the magnet/back-end resistant by putting a speaker baffle around it.
HTH. (Sorry if it sounds like im a sales rep for Infinity....)

The doors have 5.25" round speakers.

They can be upgraded to 6.5", I have replaced the paper originals with 2-Way Sony XPLOD's.

Yeah, my stock speakers on my 95 were 5 1/4s and I put Infiniti Reference 6 1/2s in when I replaced my stock speakers. It was pretty easy, I just had to drill new holes. The hardest part is getting the stupid doorpanel on and off. Its a real PITA on the Country's.

Bill-93XJ said:
Just a general question for all you gurus... My '93 XJ driver's door speaker has started 'crackling' with a garbled -distorted sound with a little muffled buzzing. Blown cone ? I have really respected these original factory speakers and have never abused them. My questions are:

1. What is the standard size? 4 x 10 ??

2. What would be the work involved to going to 6 x 9 ?? Worth it??

3. What brand would you prefer ??

4. Any tricks to doing the install so that they would be bulletproof ??
(like water-resistant)

THANKS... !!! :viking:

BOSTON ACOUSTICS! They thump and bump really well with my blaupunkt!

My 1990 has the tweeters in the dash and mids in the doors. I replaced the mids with some Kicker 5.25" mids that are poly and it sounds great with an 80 watt per channel Clarion deck.

If you put an amp to those 5.25's and tweeters you would get twice the clarity and sound than running them from you (80 watt) so-called deck. They always rate decks about 2 to 3 times of what they actually put out so if you were to get a cheap 50-100 watt per channel amp they would sound twice as good. Just my thoughts.
Back to the original ?. If you want to put bigger in just make sure they are very compact. The bone head that decided he wanted to go to 6.5 in my cherokee bought speakers with too much depth to them so the panel on the door doesn't fit right. Plus if you buy speakers that have too big of a back you aren't going to be able to roll your window down all the way. I'm not sure if that is too big of a deal on xj's but it's a thought. I wouldn't go with a 6x9 too much work and too big so it would make your sound distribution crappy. Like imma honky said you can buy baffles for the back of the speaker but I don't know how much they help. Price of a speaker can persuade a lot. Yes MB Quart's and boston acoustics are definately a nice speaker but you're going to end up seeing a bigger sticker price on them. If price doesn't matter buy some nice ones otherwise just buy from a reputable company like those stated above. You will get good sound from all of them.

Back