• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless Remote coding

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So I get my new 01 XJ, comes with one key tethered to a busted up keyless remote with tape all over it. I figure I'll run over to the Stealership, pick up a new one for me, and another for the wife to use..... Well, $40 a peice, then $30 to "program" them for our truck. Hmmmmm
Here's a question...If I've got another keyless remote from another '01 Chrysler product, that looks exactly the same minus the "Jeep" on the front, say from a Lease vehicle that I was about to turn in, with 2 good remotes (thinking of keeping one :shhh: ) Can I reprogram it to the new XJ?? and CAN I DO IT? or do I need the Stearlership to do it???
Thanks,
PS. how do I edit my signature now that I am a member..... NAXJA #791

Check around to a few dealerships before you purchase a new remote. I bought my 97 Jeep XJ remote at a Dodge dealership (it's all DC) and they included free programming with the purchase of the $25 remote.
I talked with them about the different "look-a-like" remotes from other DC vehicles and they told me that most (if not all) were not compatible.

Try this, the TJ we just picked up has and alarm with ONE two button fob so I was looking around for another and found this place.

http://www.onlyremotes.com/

I also found a few others by tracking the FCC number on the device at the FCC website.

RichP said:
Try this, the TJ we just picked up has and alarm with ONE two button fob so I was looking around for another and found this place.

http://www.onlyremotes.com/

I also found a few others by tracking the FCC number on the device at the FCC website.
That web site has them, but for $60 each. ouch.

In my 98's owners manual it tells you how to program, but i think you need 2 keys?
let me know if you don't have a owners manual, i can scan the wordage for you

Cruzzin_XJ said:
In my 98's owners manual it tells you how to program, but i think you need 2 keys?
let me know if you don't have a owners manual, i can scan the wordage for you

I'd be interested in seeing the wordage on how to program the remote, as I have a '98 also. I was under the impression that the remote was only programable with a DRB II scan tool.

Ivan

I'll have to do it when i get home this evening, It was something like put one key in the ignition, turn to the on position for 10 seconcs wait for beep, take key out, put 2nd key into ignition, turn to on position wait 10 seconds for beep take out, place cut blank key into igniton wait 10 seconds and it;s programed. Up to 8 keys, I'll docoment when i get home
John

Ok here's the scoop.
Put the first key into the ignition and turn to the on position for at least 3 seconds and no more than 15 seconds, turn ingnition off, and remove key. insert 2nd key into ignition and turn to on position with in 15 seconds. In 10 seconds you will here a chime and the theft alarm light will begin to flash, turn ignition off and remove second key. Insert a blank but cut key into the ignition and switch to the on position within 60 seconds after second key has been removed. Within 10 seconds a chime will sound, the theft alarm will stop flashing, turn on for 2 seconds and then turn off.(This part was weird because the key is already on)The sentre key has been programed. This information was taking from a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Owners manual.
Hope it helps
John

i have a 2000 and the manual says the same thing about programming the keys...the fob is another story, as i belive the chip in the key and the chip in the fob are completely different entities. my dealr told me a replacement key would be aroun 45 bones...just they key. i do need another fob, but i cant see paying the dealer for it...they should include an extra for free!

Bisquitboy...

I believe you are correct. Those instructions are for the key/alarm system... of which I don' have on my '98. Just the remote door opener option on my FOB. I can use hardware store cut keys on rig, no problem.

Upon more digging, my FSM states that the FOB remote is only programmable by DRB II scanner.

Cruzzin_XJ said:
Ok here's the scoop.
Put the first key into the ignition and turn to the on position for at least 3 seconds and no more than 15 seconds, turn ingnition off, and remove key. insert 2nd key into ignition and turn to on position with in 15 seconds. In 10 seconds you will here a chime and the theft alarm light will begin to flash, turn ignition off and remove second key. Insert a blank but cut key into the ignition and switch to the on position within 60 seconds after second key has been removed. Within 10 seconds a chime will sound, the theft alarm will stop flashing, turn on for 2 seconds and then turn off.(This part was weird because the key is already on)The sentre key has been programed. This information was taking from a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Owners manual.
Hope it helps
John
This is strange that this info is listed in a 98 XJ owners manual for sentry key programming, since the sentry key wasn't an option until 99.

Also, I believe several are confusing "sentry key" with keyless entry. For the 97+ keyless entry fob to be programmed, the DRB tool must be used. It plugs into the DLC/OBDII (data link connector/on board diagnostics) port.

JEEPZZ said:
Also, I believe several are confusing "sentry key" with keyless entry. For the 97+ keyless entry fob to be programmed, the DRB tool must be used. It plugs into the DLC/OBDII (data link connector/on board diagnostics) port.

Ok, so does anyone have one of these DRB tool???? Near Alabama preferably. or how do you get one. I know with my Audi, you can actually get software and a cable for a Palm that will read the Audi/VW codes and allow access to a bunch of stuff we shouldn't have access to :scared: . Anybody figure out how to get into the Jeep computer????
Thanks,
Andy

Back