• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burn Smell

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
Just got home after a 150 mile business trip tonight. While getting my stuff out of the back of the XJ, smelled a burning smell. Like oil that was cooked. Any ideas? I just had the trans fluid changed, oil was changed at the sametime, diffs were done about two months ago. But the t-case hasn't seen new fluid in sometime. Could the fluid be low and burning up in there with my heavy right foot...going to change it on Tuesday. But any other ideas to look for? Thanks Juice

Mine does that sometimes and its the RMS leaking a little bit and hitting the exhaust. It only does it when I drive it on the interstate for a while.

that sucks. well I hope that isn't it. on 18,000k on the new engine and if the seal is leaking I'll kick the mechanic that put it in. I'll check it in that am. So could it be anything else? Juice

Oil filter is right above the exhaust. If you just had the oil changed, check to be sure it's not weeping around the oil filter. Or it might just be oil that was spilled during the change burning off.

You said you detected the smell at the rear which reminded me that when I grease the rear driveshaft the excess will fling itself on the CAT and when it it gets hot has a very distinctive burning smell. I'm assuming of course that when you change your oil it also gets fresh grease in all the fittings too, right? ;)

great point. I did just grease the driveshaft with the old change. Thanks. I'll take a look at it. Juice

Back